cage questions

Hizzle

Jun 24, 2007
Fort Carson, CO
Alright, the interior in my '86 hatchback is stripped out of the car right now. Removing years of excessive amounts of speaker wire, alarm wires, and misc. other junk and redoing the interior. I figure now is the time to do the cage before I started reassembly, especially since welding will be required. However, I dont know what type to run. In the end, I want to be running 10s, so I need a cage. The chassis is very stiff for now with welded in subframe connectors and a front strut tower brace. Does it depend on the track? I want one with a bar behind me so I can attatch a harness to it. Do I go 8, 10, 12 point? If a 12 point isn't required, is it worth it for the extra rigidity at the expense of more weight? I don't want to overdo it, but want to meet regs and be safe. Also, I see chromoly and mild steel. I want to look at strength and weight here. I know when building big truck suspensions, mild steel is a no-no, DOM and chromoly is the way to go. Any opinions, rules, etc... would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)