CAI - JLT Vs C&L and octane question

I read that article. It is kind of confusing. For one, it uses a baseline number with the HC filter removed. My car does not have that filter (it's an 08), so would my stock power output match their HC-trap-removed baseline, meaning 06+ cars actually have a little more power than 05s? In taht case, then their results are still relevant.

Also, though, it mentions some of them with a tune, some don't mention whether tuned or not. But it also doesn't say if they were tested with the tune that is mentioned in the beginning, or with the stock tune. They're dyno results reflect HP gains over the stock baseline, for example, the JLT picked up 27 horsepower over the baseline of 261. Is this JUST with the CAI, or is it with their base tune, or is it with a JLT specific tune? In any case, I guess that means that I could expect a 27 horsepower incrase with a JLT and tune?

According to that, the JLT makes most power, but C&L is real close. So I guess that means it just comes down to personal preference/looks, huh? If that is it, I'd probably save my $100 and get the JLT.

But, Thumper, how much did DMP charge you for the C&L Racer with the street MAF tube? I would say I am between the racer and the JLT, as they are priced close, both are plastic, and both perform real close.

Pending the answer to that question, I think I am leaning more towards the JLT. Then I just have to decide on tunes. Right now, I am thinking I will get an 89 performance tune, for my usual day to day life. A 93 performance tune, for when I go racing or feel like running 93, and either a 93 race tune, or 89 gas milage tune. Then again, since the difference is really only a couple bucks, I may wind up always running the 93 anyway... Then that leaves my final decision: VMP, Brenspeed, or Bama.... Everyone has something good to say about each one, and they are all priced about the same... SO many decisions!

How significant is the ass-dyno gain from this? Everone says the extra power and reduced drive by wire lag makes a world of difference. The car already feels awesome to me, so I guess it will go from awesome to totally kick ass?

One alst question. If I buy a CAI/tune next week, then decide to get an offroad pipe, will I need a retune, or is that an insignificant enough mod that I will be ok?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for all the information!
I am not sure how the 93 tunes feel compared to the 87 or 89, but I don't feel a difference between the 87 Per. and 89 torque.

• Sponsors (?)

C&L

Talked to C&L and if you decide to go with theirs they have specific tunes that optimize the CAI with specifics to other mods. Diablo had over 200 tunes to review and picked the best ones...

They give you 7 tunes with a 5 speed, and 10 with an automatic!!

They give you a good package deal to..

Buy the way, They told me about some new parts coming out soon, shooting for 360 rwhp NA!!!!!

And then you can add the cams!!!

I remembered one more thing I was wondering. Will the tune in any way effect the functionality of the trip computer (the thing that says gas milage, distance till empty, etc.)?

Thumper, you said that you tested the C&L racer with both sized MAF housings and it made more power with the smaller one, correct? How much of a difference was it, because it seem slike a lot of people on here run that CAI with mostly stock cars. Right now I am leaning towards the JLT because of the price and the minimal performance differences between the three, but the racer isn't too far off in price either.

I read that article. It is kind of confusing. For one, it uses a baseline number with the HC filter removed. My car does not have that filter (it's an 08), so would my stock power output match their HC-trap-removed baseline, meaning 06+ cars actually have a little more power than 05s? In taht case, then their results are still relevant.

Also, though, it mentions some of them with a tune, some don't mention whether tuned or not. But it also doesn't say if they were tested with the tune that is mentioned in the beginning, or with the stock tune.
It is very confusing. I had to read it 3 times before things started making sense.
The baseline is 261 hp with the stock tune, stock air intake, and the hydrocarbon trap removed.
Then, CAI's from Anderson Ford Motorsport, K&N, and Mustang Racing Technologies replaced the stock air intake, and were first tested with the stock tune(1st set of hp and torque numbers) and then with an MD Motorsports tune(2nd set of numbers/SCT). These CAI's are designed to run with the stock tune, and their manufacturers wanted to see what kind of numbers the test results showed with that configuration. The MD Motorsports tune was installed to see how much extra power could be squeezed out of these 3 "tuneless" CAI's.
Finally, a "modest" 91 octane tune replaced the stock tune raising the 261 hp baseline to 271 hp, and the remainder of the CAI's were installed and tested.

ok ok, so the bigger ones like C&L and JLT were tested with that tune, so the results basically say that the intake and tune together added so and so horsepower over the stock 261, right?

Gotcha. I'm pretty sure I am going to go with the JLT. The performance between it and the C&L is so close that I don't think I'd even consider it a difference, so I'm liking the price of te JLT best.

On that note, I was ready to order the CAI/tune and an offroad X-pipe today, but didn't get time on my lunch break. Every time I make a big purchase though I have second thoughts constantly beforehand (because usually it means saving up for a while). For this I keep thinking, do I really need to get these parts for more power and better sound? The car is still fast, and fun to drive, and sounds pretty good. Then my mind will switch to "yea, it isn't loud enough, and I wand better throttle response", and back and forth haha. I think I am lying to myself though if I say I don't need them, because if I don't order them this week, I'm sure I'll wind up doing it next week, and once I put them on, I bet I'll think "man, I can't believe I actually DEBATED this!" Hopefully I'll be able to order them tomorrow. I'd LOVE to have the X pipe by this weekend, the better half works all weekend and I need something constructive to do.

I ordered the JLT with tune from Brenspeed on tuesday. I decided to go with the JLT because it seems to perform right up there with the others, so I wanted to save some money. I won't cry over a couple horsepower. I have my reasons why I went with Brenspeed, but in the future I might buy a single tune file from Bama or VMP, then when I get my car dynoed next month I'll try them both.

They said 7 days before they ship the parts though. I'm getting ancy :)