Caliper Seals

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
Hi everyone. It's been a while and I hope you are well.

My son bought a 93 LX vert that we are undoing all the jack legged rigs that were done by previous owners. I'm sure I'll be back with more stories but for now it's a caliper leak we're working on.

The car has a 5 lug conversion. So, when ordering a caliper seal kit, do I order for the Cobra? Or is it possible there is a mix of parts? How many different caliper seal kits are there to choose from? I know we can take it apart and match things at the counter but I'll be sending him for parts before we take it apart.

Thanks for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure exactly yet. I just know it's 5 lugs. I'll have to measure the rotor and see. All I know is brake fluid was leaking off the back side of the caliper. Haven't even taken the wheel off yet. So many projects, so little time. Shoot, it might just be a loose bleeder.

I'll post back with more later.

You really need to identify what you have first before you can buy parts. There are TWO different types of cobra calipers and the piston diameter changed between the two (40.5mm vs 38mm) so you need to ID them before buying parts. A few good photos of the caliper would help.

Out back, ann SN95 mustangs used the same 38mm caliper. Only difference was the pad support bracketand the pads/rotors. I wouldn't bother rebuilding these as the E-brake mechanism makes it tricky. However, reman parts are cheap from rockauto, so i'd order a couple V6 calipers, and just swap out the caliper part if the rears are actually cobra calipers. Leave the cobra pad support bracket and send the old caliper and the new V6 pad support brackets back as cores.

Not sure exactly yet. I just know it's 5 lugs. I'll have to measure the rotor and see. All I know is brake fluid was leaking off the back side of the caliper. Haven't even taken the wheel off yet. So many projects, so little time. Shoot, it might just be a loose bleeder.

I'll post back with more later.

Could just need new banjo bolt crush washers installed...or a little snugging up

Take a picture . It could be a 94-98 single piston caliper. It could be a 99-04 gt pbr dual piston or the cobra caliper. All are a little different .

There are TWO cobra calipers

Red caliper is a 94-98 Cobra caliper. 2x38mm pistons
Black caliper is 99-04 Cobra/Bullitt/Mach caliper These are 2x 40.5mm pistons

If you'll notice, the early 38mm calipers have more ribbing around the piston bores

pic.php

pic.php

There are TWO cobra calipers

Red caliper is a 94-98 Cobra caliper. 2x38mm pistons
Black caliper is 99-04 Cobra/Bullitt/Mach caliper These are 2x 40.5mm pistons

If you'll notice, the early 38mm calipers have more ribbing around the piston bores

pic.php

pic.php
Learned something new today !

357DBDA8-69CC-418E-97AD-AE5A251ECC0A.jpg
I reached under and snapped an iphone pic on my way out the door this morn. Can you tell what we have?
357DBDA8-69CC-418E-97AD-AE5A251ECC0A.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Not an SN95 brake setup.

Looks like stock brakes with 5-lug rotors. I'm thinking standard 60mm stock mustang caliper.

Do you have disks out back? Or drums,

Something about that brake setup looks off. The caliper looks loose

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Turns out the leak is where the line connects to the caliper. I was able to tighten it a bit so maybe it will stop. Dont those line to caliper connections use little copper washers as seals?

One of the caliper bolts was a tad loose but nothing that would cause a problem. The previous picture looked odd because the rubber caps on the inside end of the caliper bolts were sliding off.