Cam and Intake Choices

SuperDust22

The Power of Pixie Dust?!
Oct 19, 2003
Gilbert,AZ
I know there is about ten million threads on this but every combo is different and all peoples goals are different. So here is goes.

I have bought a set of edelbrock performer heads. They are the 1.90/1.60 ones. I have also bought a set of ford 1.6 roller rockers. I also have everything for a fox body swap.

MY PLAN FOR THE MOTOR
Stock block, crank
Heavily ported Edel heads (intake will match)
forged rods and pistons
N20 dual stage
AODE with converter

MY GOALS
I must dyno at least 310 NA to the rear wheels though my stock automatic.
Run at least 12s all motor (The car will have a converter by then)
Run mid 11s on n20
Must be perfectly streetable.

MY QUESTIONS ARE.

1.) What intake is going to be the best intake for my setup. I have been leaning towards a edelbrock performer RPM since I can get one local for $300. But if that is not the best choice I will keep looking.

2.) Cam -- I WILL not get a FTI or Jay Allen. If I decide to go custom it will be a cam motion custom grind. The cam is going to need to be a good n20 cam.What OTS cams would work good for me? Remenber I plan on running the n20. the cam specs need to be made for that. I have been leaning towards the TFS 2.

3.) What compression should I run? I don't have any plans of a SC or turbo on this car. SO I want to run pretty high compression to make my hp numbers. I am going to run nitrous on this motor and will be a 150-200 shot. If I build the lower more I might run a 250 so keep that in mind.

Dustin

PS no agruing or bashing in this thread. I want straight tech:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Dustin, 310rwhp through a stock AODE and having it completely streetable is not going to be easy. It will take a good bit of compression and some RPM to do it IMO. RPM tends to take away streetability as high RPM power is normally a trade off for low end torque production, and cams that will move the powerband up usually tend to be a bit choppy in the lower RPM's as well. I'd say you'd need an intake that will pull into the mid 6000rpm range. I like the edlebrock stuff so I'd suggest an RPM or RPMII. As for the cam... I can't help you. I don't have the knowledge (like majority of us) to pick and OTS cam for you that will deliver everything you want it to.

I do think you can hit your NA and N2O times without a great deal of trouble if you gear the car right, have the right converter, have the suspension to put the power to the ground along with a good set of tires, and the car doesn't weigh 2 tons.

Hope that helps...

BTW- for $300 I'd jump on that intake. It will be sufficient for your goals. As for what compression... normally I'd say 10.5-11:1 would be fine on puimp gas, but since you live in AZ I don't know if you can run that much with the heat you guys have out there. I'd ask around locally to see what guys are getting away with while avoiding detonation on pump gas.

Killercanary said:
Dustin, 310rwhp through a stock AODE and having it completely streetable is not going to be easy. It will take a good bit of compression and some RPM to do it IMO. RPM tends to take away streetability as high RPM power is normally a trade off for low end torque production, and cams that will move the powerband up usually tend to be a bit choppy in the lower RPM's as well. I'd say you'd need an intake that will pull into the mid 6000rpm range. I like the edlebrock stuff so I'd suggest an RPM or RPMII. As for the cam... I can't help you. I don't have the knowledge (like majority of us) to pick and OTS cam for you that will deliver everything you want it to.

I do think you can hit your NA and N2O times without a great deal of trouble if you gear the car right, have the right converter, have the suspension to put the power to the ground along with a good set of tires, and the car doesn't weigh 2 tons.

Hope that helps...

I understand that the hp is a bit high but I would rather set the bar high. And yes I want to rev this motor descently high. The car will also get a great tune. We got a bomb ass tuner in town. What compression should I look at running? As far as the heads I am hoping after porting to get them to flow 250-260ish at .500. I will be changing the gears from the 373 I have now to 410 and maybe a 430. I will start looking into the gears to see if 430 is too much.

Dustin

Dustin, if you can, do the gears LAST. Get the combo together and get it dyno'd NA and on the spray. See where your HP peaks at, once you know that then you can "guesstimate" what kind of trap speeds you will be turning NA and on the spray. After you have done this THEN select your gear ratio. You wuouldn't want to throw 4.30's in it just to be banging the rev limiter at the 1000' mark on the spray, or be crossing at too high of an RPM when running on the motor.

I'd shoot for 11:1 compression if you think you can get away with it on pump gas. If you get a SCT chip they have multiple program settings so even if your "race" tune was too much for pump gas you could have a safe tune burnt as well with a lot of timing removed to help with the detonation on pump gas. Compression is your friend though in terms of power production!

Also, I hope your tuner is good because as notorious as our cars are for having idle issues when the cam is swapped, it is much worse in an AODE car. A looser converter does seem to help from the few I have seen in this situation, but its definitely going to be more of a headache for you than it is for the stick guys.

Killercanary said:
BTW- for $300 I'd jump on that intake. It will be sufficient for your goals. As for what compression... normally I'd say 10.5-11:1 would be fine on puimp gas, but since you live in AZ I don't know if you can run that much with the heat you guys have out there. I'd ask around locally to see what guys are getting away with while avoiding detonation on pump gas.

Yeah I have email the guy about the intake. I got cash in hand just waiting for the email back. Also I do know a guy local is a simlar setup.

306 ci- 10:8 comp
Ported Edelbrock Performer heads
1.7 rr with a XE 276HR Comp Cam
Ported Edelbrock Performer intake
30 lb injectors
73mm maf

The car made 341 to the back rubber. This is also I 5spd and not DD. I also belive is doenst have AC or smog.

BTW those were eades old heads.

Dustin

Killercanary said:
Dustin, if you can, do the gears LAST. Get the combo together and get it dyno'd NA and on the spray. See where your HP peaks at, once you know that then you can "guesstimate" what kind of trap speeds you will be turning NA and on the spray. After you have done this THEN select your gear ratio. You wuouldn't want to throw 4.30's in it just to be banging the rev limiter at the 1000' mark on the spray, or be crossing at too high of an RPM when running on the motor.

I'd shoot for 11:1 compression if you think you can get away with it on pump gas. If you get a SCT chip they have multiple program settings so even if your "race" tune was too much for pump gas you could have a safe tune burnt as well with a lot of timing removed to help with the detonation on pump gas. Compression is your friend though in terms of power production!

I had planned on that. And yes we have a bomb ass tuner in town that really knows his ****. This car also will not be raced everyweek or even really raced that much. But it will be to the track enough times to make this all worth it.

Dustin

Don't try to plan your cam around the n/a setup. Plan it with the N20 included. That way you maximize the n20.

I don't know if the cam choice will affect the n20 in the long run, as you are simply enriching the oxygen content, not running off the exhaust like a turbo. Nor will boost increase w/ rpm like a blower.

I am sure someone here can chime in.
Scott

mo_dingo said:
Don't try to plan your cam around the n/a setup. Plan it with the N20 included. That way you maximize the n20.

I don't know if the cam choice will affect the n20 in the long run, as you are simply enriching the oxygen content, not running off the exhaust like a turbo. Nor will boost increase w/ rpm like a blower.

I am sure someone here can chime in.
Scott

Thanks Scott and yes I want an N20 cam, that is one of the reason I made this thread. I need to go back and specify that in my first post.

Dustin

SuperDust22 said:
I had also planned on running 30# inj.

BTW would a TF street heat intake would good for this combo or will that just not cut it. I found another good deal on one.

Dustin

I would not use the street heat manifold for this application.

I think the ported RPM manifold is calling your name. If you don't want a cam from Ed or jay, have you looked into hitech motorsports? I've seen very nice results from their packages. I personally run 11:1 compression on my car and its fine on pump gas and 34* total timing. Make sure you get the proper valve spring package for this camshaft AND gear the car properly. 4.10 minimum but 4.30 ideal IMO. I'm gonna swap to 4.30's when I get the cash.

Fyi, the "best" nitrous cam isn't the best n/a cam and visa versa. I say build the car to run HARD on motor, then hit it with the nitrous for the knock out punch. You're more than likely gonna need to extend the 6250 rev limiter for this combo.

I say get the edle int thats a give away (I almost **** that night when he told you 300$), it will go nice with the edle heads, go 4.10 min, and run the stage 2 cam for now if your trying to save $$, that cam does great on motor and on the kit..and is damn cheap! Kieth will be able to tune your car in so dont stress that.
If you wanna spend 300$ on a cam, you already picked the best cam grinders out there CAM MOTION sucka..hehe let the flaming begin.

Talk to you later chump

eades5.0 said:
I say get the edle int thats a give away (I almost **** that night when he told you 300$), it will go nice with the edle heads, go 4.10 min, and run the stage 2 cam for now if your trying to save $$, that cam does great on motor and on the kit..and is damn cheap! Kieth will be able to tune your car in so dont stress that.
If you wanna spend 300$ on a cam, you already picked the best cam grinders out there CAM MOTION sucka..hehe let the flaming begin.

Talk to you later chump

Thanks chris, the only thing i am still debating is the gears, becuase I can't go to the dyno and then swap, I have to know before hand. Remenber I have a AODE. anything lower than 373 has to be tuned so i dont hit the rev limiter.

And the more and more I read the more I want to so with cam motion. I havent heard a bad thing about them:nice:

ALSO chris, do you see it ITSLOW much? I want that intake bad. He hasnt answered his PMs. He you see him. Pick it up for me or let him to call my ass. I don't want it to slip away.

Dustin