Cam change question

Mark89coupe

Apr 5, 2005
Ive changed a cam before but not on a Ford. When the timing chain cover is removed does it mess with the oil pan at all? Meaning in order to re-install the timing cover does one have to drop the oil pan?
Can someone explain the steps? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes it does mess with the oil pan. Most people do not pull the pan though. The timing cover bolts to the block, and shares 4 (?) bolts with the pan. The timing cover gasket set that you get will have the appropriate gaskets.
This is fairly common and you should not have any major problems.

cake.... like Virstang said. the timing cover will come off with the water pump attached!! there are 4 screws that will come up thru the bottom ( 2 1/2 and 2 7/16) and when you remove the cover it will usually tear the small front oil pan gaskets.. in the timing cover gasket set from Felpro, you will see the timing cover gasket... timing cover front seal and two short front end gaskets... just for that reason!! cool?? If in doubt.. get the set and take a look .. It will explain its self!! but NO you dont have to drop the pan like the freaking chevys have too!! Cool??

Just me....................

Thumper

I ask because I asked the same about the Chevy and people were like, oh no you dont have to, which I really didnt, but it didnt seem like it would have not leaked.
Ok, so Ill get the timing cover gasket set. Will summit have it or NAPA?