Cam Clarification

Dane Brahler

Sep 2, 2016
Okay guys so 've been doing tsome research here since winter is fast approaching here in Ohio...
I want to upgrade the stock HO cam in my 86.
When i bought the car,
Guy had all receipts for:
trickflow chromoly push rods
1.72 DSS roller rockers
hardened springs
Edelbrock performer RPM's

I was thinking between the trickflow stage 1 and the anderson n41, but i just need a little more clarification before i yank my motor.
1. Is this direct swap in and out? what do i absolutely need to check?
2. Do I need to change my pushrod length?
3. Does the cam need degreed? ( never done this personally)

Thanks for helping me out! This is my first mustang project
new paint: https://drive.google.com/open?id=18DjSVQ-X64YIuG4P8CiLL7etGAL-kdvd9g

• Sponsors (?)

with the flat top pistons you wil need to check PTV clearance as they do not have valve reliefs notched in them. especially if you are also going to use 1.72 RR
Yes you will need to measure for new pushrods. You should not order pushrods until you measure for proper length. You want to make sure the swipe is on the center of the valve stem. Get a comp cams pushrod length checker.
You should always degree a cam however many people do not-you want to ensure the cam is degreed properly to verufy what is on the cam card.. I admit that I have just installed many cams dot to dot in my day on stock replacement motors.

What springs are on those heads? Edelbrocks heads used to be notorious for bad/weak valve springs and seats. .

with the flat top pistons you wil need to check PTV clearance as they do not have valve reliefs notched in them. especially if you are also going to use 1.72 RR
Yes you will need to measure for new pushrods. You should not order pushrods until you measure for proper length. You want to make sure the swipe is on the center of the valve stem. Get a comp cams pushrod length checker.
You should always degree a cam however many people do not-you want to ensure the cam is degreed properly to verufy what is on the cam card.. I admit that I have just installed many cams dot to dot in my day on stock replacement motors.

What springs are on those heads? Edelbrocks heads used to be notorious for bad/weak valve springs and seats. .

Dumb question,but-how do you degree a cam?

That works for stock stuff but aftermarket cams can be tricky, also verifies it was ground correctly. Never done one myself, I've stuck a couple alphabet cams in mine and didn't do it, put stock cam back in only because I had issues I could not correct with a lumpy cam in it,

Neither of your choices. I'll push a XE264HR.....or NX264HR on a mild top end till the day I die. Great HO replacement cams. Lots of low and mid range power and an improvement over the stock top end. There is almost a 100% chance you'll need to fly cut your pistons to make it work though....but that's going to be a must for any decent replacement camshaft. Pick yourself up a better intake manifold while you're at it. The EFI intake on an '86 model is especially restrictive. Find one off of a wrecked '95-'96 Explorer if money is tight and your EGR is still functional. If you've done away with your EGR, then any year 5.0L Explorer intake manifold will do. Grab the throttle body while you're there too.

I ran both cams in my old setup. I prefer the N41 out of the two. I had an 89 shortblock then...forged pistons with valve reliefs. Rick Anderson told me that the N41 WOULD NOT clear stock pistons with 1.7 RR. I never did measure them with the 1.7's to see of that was true.

Joe