Cam install issues

new46stang

Jun 5, 2002
AZ
Help!!!

Ok so I am installing a cam and I installed the wrong stud for the cam sprocket. It was too long and I did not notice this before torquing the the cam sprocket bolt down. I can not get the stud out of the cam. Does any one have any ideas? I have tried vice grips, channel locks, dry ice on the stud etc. I feel like a retard here please help!!! :shrug:

Thanks,

Matt

• Sponsors (?)

Help!!!

Ok so I am installing a cam and I installed the wrong stud for the cam sprocket. It was too long and I did not notice this before torquing the the cam sprocket bolt down. I can not get the stud out of the cam. Does any one have any ideas? I have tried vice grips, channel locks, dry ice on the stud etc. I feel like a retard here please help!!! :shrug:

Thanks,

Matt

The cam dowel?

I had problems getting it out of one of my cams and I LIGHTLY tapped sideways on one side then on the other side with a pair of side cutters and it came out.

EDIT: off topic, saw your post count and join date...I figured your nick would be in red :shrug:

Yeah dowel is the correct term, could'nt think of the name. The dowel is messed up enough at this point it has to come out. I'll try to gently tap it side to side and see if that helps.

Hey yeah I used to be in red with "founding member"...what gives? :(

Thanks for the ideas...keep 'em coming if any one has something up their sleeve.

Yeah dowel is the correct term, could'nt think of the name. The dowel is messed up enough at this point it has to come out. I'll try to gently tap it side to side and see if that helps.

Hey yeah I used to be in red with "founding member"...what gives? :(

Thanks for the ideas...keep 'em coming if any one has something up their sleeve.

is the cam back out? If so, stand the cam up and hold the bottom with your feet and lock a pair of vice grips on tight as you can. Probably have better luck twisting than yanking.

Also, might be able to center punch it and drill maybe 1/8" and use an easy out :shrug:

I pulled the cam back out. Put a little heat to it while cooling the dowel. Tapping with the hammer gently side to side, vice grips and help from another person (thanks dear :D). Twisting and pulling..some cussing and it finally came out. Much more difficult that it sounds. I think I jacked up every joint in my right arm and left wrist. Stupid cam.

New dowel is in, I used the shorter one - hope it's not to short. It should do the job. Thanks for you input everyone.