Cam question with stroker

Tony01GT

Dec 16, 2002
Orland Park, IL
I'm planing on getting the CHP 310 stroker this winter and putting it in, in the spring. I am also sending my heads to Fox Lake for porting. My question is, I'm trying to find a cam that will rev to say 7000 rpm, and it doesn't have to be emissions legal. I was also wondering if the Comp Cams behive springs will be able to take it? When I do the swap what else should I get with them, I'm getting my heads stage two ported with ferrea over sized valves, Comp behive springs, bronze guide liners, viton seals, but what else do I need to rev so high? And will my pistons be ok, I've heard of problems with certain cams with the valves and the pistons?
Thanks~Tony

• Sponsors (?)

Tony01GT said:
I'm planing on getting the CHP 310 stroker this winter and putting it in, in the spring. I am also sending my heads to Fox Lake for porting. My question is, I'm trying to find a cam that will rev to say 7000 rpm, and it doesn't have to be emissions legal. I was also wondering if the Comp Cams behive springs will be able to take it? When I do the swap what else should I get with them, I'm getting my heads stage two ported with ferrea over sized valves, Comp behive springs, bronze guide liners, viton seals, but what else do I need to rev so high? And will my pistons be ok, I've heard of problems with certain cams with the valves and the pistons?
Thanks~Tony

I have a 302 stroker kit with comp's XE278's. Specs are .550 lift, 244 duration. No piston to valve clearance here. I love these cams. Idle like a monster. Guys ask me if I have a pushrod 302 in the car all the time.

Tony01GT said:
Thanks~Tony

Personally the stroker is a waste of money..Spend the money else where in the car..Unless you plan on a big bore (which are cars REALLY need).The stroker is a waste..

second the comp springs will be fine.Ive run mine to 7K + with no issues for over 15k miles.

The next question is why would you want to rev it so high? Depending on the cams and the rest of the combo you may not need to go that high...

white99gt said:
Personally the stroker is a waste of money..Spend the money else where in the car..Unless you plan on a big bore (which are cars REALLY need).The stroker is a waste..

Well, if you need more torque (which our motors need badly) the stroker is not a waste of money. My N/A/ motor put out 330 RWTQ and 297 RWHP. The stroker will not give you any more HP, but will definatelly add torque. A lot of people who spent money on a forged 4.6, are mad they did not spend it on a stroker. :hail2:

98 convertable said:
Well, if you need more torque (which our motors need badly) the stroker is not a waste of money. My N/A/ motor put out 330 RWTQ and 297 RWHP. The stroker will not give you any more HP, but will definatelly add torque. A lot of people who spent money on a forged 4.6, are mad they did not spend it on a stroker. :hail2:

Really you think you need a stroker to make torque LOL...What makes peaple mad is knowing they got a stroker and could have made more power with a stock stroke .20 over bore 2v:D..Kenb's n/a 2v with a standard bottomend(forged of coarse) Made 362 RWHP / 353 RWTQ

http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29556&highlight=dyno

thanks guys, I'll probably go with the XE278. I want to rev so high because I'm running out of gear going through 1320 with 150 shot and 4.10s. So with everything else I will be doing I need to rev a lot higher. And the 310 is a big bore set-up. Thanks!!

with a 100 shot running 12.2 it was ready to hit the rev limiter, and I have no time slips for the 150 shot. that is one of the reasons I am doing the 310, is because I need forged bottom end sooner or later so why not stroke it while I'm at it.And hey maybe run a 200-250 shot, haha

DSS stroker and my blower + DSScams/heads + P51 = the best street car. No one will touch me execpt for some serious cars but I mean low 10's high 11's are very predicatable. If you don't stoke it how will you get pleasure?