Cam Questions

My Cushman motorsports stg 1s are on there way and the only thing I have for their install are new head gaskets. I was wondering if I should be getting anything else and if I needed cam gears on an 02 Gt. Can anyone help me out with this?

• Sponsors (?)

Are you pulling the heads off? Or are they already off? You should be able to reuse your gears. If you are carefull taking the V/C and/or timing cover off, you can reuse the gaskets.

Thanks for the quick reply Jim. My buddy is doing the install for me. I am still waiting to get the cams, just wanted to be able to put them in ASAP Im very excited and cant wait . I thought it would be a good idea to get the new gaskets because I didnt want to risk a chance of something messing up. Would it be better to use new gears or re-use the old ones? We would reuse the stock ones if its safe but I just want to be sure.

Thanks for the quick reply Jim. My buddy is doing the install for me. I am still waiting to get the cams, just wanted to be able to put them in ASAP Im very excited and cant wait . I thought it would be a good idea to get the new gaskets because I didnt want to risk a chance of something messing up. Would it be better to use new gears or re-use the old ones? We would reuse the stock ones if its safe but I just want to be sure.

Reuse the stock gears. You don't need to pull the heads off to install cams. Unless you mean the heads are already off the motor.

Unless you mean VALVE COVER gaskets, return them. You dont need new cam gears. You dont need to pull the timing cover.

Pull the valve covers off, remove the cam tensioners, put the motor to TDC, remove cam bolt, have somebody hold the chain and DONT let it move!, slip out old cam- put in new cam, slide it in, bolt it down, repeat on other side.

Yup, did mine same way. You will love the cams. Took me about 5 hours for my first time with the anderson tool. In my driveway when 35 degrees out.:rolleyes: Couldn't wait!

Hey if you want to buy my anderson cam tool, email me at [email protected]. It cost me $35 and it really helped. I don't need it anymore, let me know. :nice: