Cam suggestions needed...

GT427

Aug 12, 2003
AL
I'm looking to get a cam set in '05 and need some help with selecting the right grind for my combo. First things first this is what I'm closing out 2004 with ...

SCT Multiprogram chip (BamaChips)
Steeda Underdrives
MAC Prochamber
Flowmaster Exhaust
3.73 gears
NOS Wet Kit

The plans for 2005 already include the following (so far) ...

Accufab Intake Plenum & 75mm TB
K&N F.I.P.K II Air Intake
FFRP Shorties
Port & Polish for the heads
24 lb injectors (maybe)
Cams (grind undecided)

Now for the fun part. I will probably end up using a shot of nitrous somewhere in the 100-150 hp range after I see how much the motor wants to take. With that being said let's get to the meat of it.

Based on the September Issue of MMFF, there are 2 grinds by Comp Cams that I have my eye on. (other recommendations are welcome) Namely the XE262AH and XE270AH grinds. The following figures are from the MMFF test motor.

XE262AH:
Lift:....... .550
Int Dur:... 226 deg
Exh Dur:.. 230 deg
Lobe Ang: 113 deg
Pk HP:..... 386 hp @ 5,800 rpm
Pk TQ:..... 383 ft-lbs @ 4,800 rpm
largest
hp gain:....50 hp
largest
tq gain:.....45 ft-lbs

XE270AH:
Lift:....... .550
Int Dur:... 234 deg
Exh Dur:.. 238 deg
Lobe Ang: 113 deg
Pk HP:..... 388 hp @ 6,000 rpm
Pk TQ:..... 383 ft-lbs @ 4,900 rpm
largest
hp gain:....57 hp
largest
tq gain:.....49 ft-lbs

Of these two which would best fit my current and upcoming mods with a 100-150 shot of juice? Or are there other grinds that I should take into consideration? Like I said, I'm open to suggestions, this is just what I've looked at so far...

Jon

Side Note.. MMFF believes that the XE262AH will be the best seller for comp cams.

:p turned out to be alot longer post than I thought it'd be.

• Sponsors (?)

I learned more about cams reading this than from anywhere else. It will help you decide.
book.jpg

Attachments

• book.jpg
    book.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 54
since we're on the subject of cams :D

I'm after a radical idle sound for my car, some people have suggested ideas, but does anyone have like a part# of a cam set that would sound good at idle for the 4.6?

I want it to sound like an older musclecar

Rocketman said:
I learned more about cams reading this than from anywhere else. It will help you decide.
book.jpg

Can I buy this book at say Barnes & Nobles? If not where can I find it? Also where can I obtain more info on the VT cams? Thanks yall.

Attachments

• book.jpg
    book.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 47
southernpony said:
Can I buy this book at say Barnes & Nobles? If not where can I find it? Also where can I obtain more info on the VT cams? Thanks yall.

That's where I got mine. They had to order it though. You can also order it directly off of Sean Hyland's web site.

I myself have been getting a headache on which cam to go with next summer.
First i wanted SHM (his shop/warehouse is about 30 minutes away from me),then decided that the Comp Cams XE262AH is what i wanted,then i did more diggin',and am going to go with the VT stage 2's.In the long run,this would be the perfect cam for want i want.
The only thing is that you will need aftermarket valve springs for "most" cams.
Just do a lot of searching on info on the cams before you buy.Make sure you know what you want out of your stang besides big power,like what is the main use for the stang (daily driven or once in awhile).Drivability is going to be a big factor for a daily driven stang if you choose the wrong cam.
Most of the cams out there are reliable in quality from what i've been reading on the net.So what ever one you choose will basically be decided in what you want for your stang. :D
As for the XE270AH's,from what i've been reading,there will be a piston to valve issue!! :shrug:
Good luck. :nice:

Bill9000 said:
since we're on the subject of cams :D

I'm after a radical idle sound for my car, some people have suggested ideas, but does anyone have like a part# of a cam set that would sound good at idle for the 4.6?

I want it to sound like an older musclecar

That sound is what my car was missing since I bought it new.

People are shocked :jaw: when they hear my car. Thier first question before I pop the hood is usually when did I put a built 302 in it :D

zcs626 said:
what would make you go w/ the VT N/A stage 2 over the n/a stage 1 cams?

Just to give an example.

Bill Putnam's bolt-on car gained 22rwhp/1rwtq with VT Stage I cams.

I don't remember who's car it was, but there was a stock (except weld-in mufflers) '00 GT that gained 29rwhp/??rwtq with VT Stage II cams.

They both cost the same, so don't cheat yourself on the power. And for the thread-starters question, I would go with VT Stage II or Comp XE270AHs. I have the Comp 270s, but either one has proven themselves to be great performers. Either one will help your motor respond to the juice. Thats something I'd like to try next summer myself. :nice: