cam suggestions

stage one here ,put it in

iv asked around and not seen the basic stock trick flow package and a custom cam
with numbers to back up the price :shrug:

i would like to see if anybody has the stock tfs kit with a stg 1,swapped for a custom cam before and after..

• Sponsors (?)

LsX springs are not SBF springs.

The spring upgrade a few years ago was $200.

Wait until you get the heads and bolt-ons before you get the custom camshaft.

Ed uses some of the finest springs out there, from the bit I have read on them. They are not just springs you can buy out of summit.

www.pacracing.com.

LsX springs are not SBF springs.

Ed uses some of the finest springs out there, from the bit I have read on them. They are not just springs you can buy out of summit.

www.pacracing.com.

This is from the e-mail he sent me regaring the spring kit I should get.

Travis,
This is the spring kit I would like to use with the camshaft I have designed up for you...
GEN4-LSX Valve Spring Kit: $375
FTI GEN4 Dual Valve Springs
Super Clean - Pure Alloy Material
1.290” Diameter Spring
145# at 1.800”
.650” Lift Capable
Chromemoly Steel Retainers
Hardened Valve Locks
Hardened & Machined Locators
Viton Valve Seals

*shameless ad*
Dude, I'm selling my CI custom cam. It was made for my GT40/Cobra Intake combo. I will no longer be needing it as I'm going with aluminum heads. I can let it go for a good price along with matching lifters. I don't have the specs on me, but can get them for you.

Oh and yeah, custom all the way. Paul will learn his lesson. jaja

This is from the e-mail he sent me regaring the spring kit I should get.

Travis,
This is the spring kit I would like to use with the camshaft I have designed up for you...
GEN4-LSX Valve Spring Kit: $375
FTI GEN4 Dual Valve Springs
Super Clean - Pure Alloy Material
1.290” Diameter Spring
145# at 1.800”
.650” Lift Capable
Chromemoly Steel Retainers
Hardened Valve Locks
Hardened & Machined Locators
Viton Valve Seals

I am sorry for the misinformation. I forgot that Ed now uses the better and lighter valvetrain, with the LsX design. I stand corrected. :)

He has options starting at $160, but if he was doing the camshaft, he knows what springs will get the job done.

http://www.flowtechinduction.com/valvetrain.htm

Good Luck.

If the cam does not sell...I will be very interested in it. It should match my combo fairly well.

Only problem it will be a little while before I have the funds. Plan on buying a new HDTV this weekend and my plates are due next month :(.

To the original poster...

I would hold off on any cam until you get the actual heads. For the stock E7's an aftermarket cam is going to get you very little for PITA factor and cost. Your springs will need to be upgraded or should be if you want to be safe. Doing the heads and cam at the same time is easier than doing an intake swap and then doing the cam.

FWIW- the TFS1 cam is a good match for unported gt40's and should be good for the TW heads as they sell that cam with the "kit". I went 13.5 @ 102 with a crappy 60ft and no tuning in my 94 with box stock gt40's, ported stock gt lower, and the TFS1 cam. If you have the cash custom all the way...but I would say wait until you actually have the heads.

If the cam does not sell...I will be very interested in it. It should match my combo fairly well.

Only problem it will be a little while before I have the funds. Plan on buying a new HDTV this weekend and my plates are due next month :(.

Let me know and we can work something out.

Jimmy,
Just so you have options, check out www.camshaftinnovations.com I'm using his products and don't regret it, and his customer service is 2nd to none!:nice:

I am sorry for the misinformation. I forgot that Ed now uses the better and lighter valvetrain, with the LsX design. I stand corrected. :)

He has options starting at $160, but if he was doing the camshaft, he knows what springs will get the job done.

http://www.flowtechinduction.com/valvetrain.htm

Good Luck.

I remember you saying you got your cam a few years back so it wouldn't surprise me that he's made some upgrades since then.

I just want to get the thing installed, it was going to be done this past weekend but the shop was to busy to fit me in( Friend is the mechanic there) so its being done the first week in June.

As far as off the shelf VS Custom cams it breaks down like this.

It all depends on what you want to do with the car or your goals for it. I have specific goals Im trying to reach at the track and I know a custom cam would help me out. A custom cam will offer better idle and more power through out the RPM range along with some better peak HP. By not going custom your not doing anything wrong, there are more mustangs out there running around with off the shelf cams then custom grind ones. If you think its worth it for your application and don't have any specific goals then a reg off the shelf cam is fine. Its all up to you though and what you deem to be worth it or not.

As far as off the shelf VS Custom cams it breaks down like this.

It all depends on what you want to do with the car or your goals for it. I have specific goals Im trying to reach at the track and I know a custom cam would help me out. A custom cam will offer better idle and more power through out the RPM range along with some better peak HP. By not going custom your not doing anything wrong, there are more mustangs out there running around with off the shelf cams then custom grind ones. If you think its worth it for your application and don't have any specific goals then a reg off the shelf cam is fine. Its all up to you though and what you deem to be worth it or not.

Very well said redline.....I couldnt agree more.:nice:

my dyno numbers are in my signature - TF top end kit going through a bone stock AODE - similar to your proposed budget set up. Haven't been to the track yet, but I can tell you below 2500 it's very similar to stock but opens up nicely in the midrange and pulls much much harder up top. a nice street combo....will be even better if I add the TF nitrous kit with spray bar in between the upper/lower. Good luck!