cam suggestions

One thing about the custom cam guys like Ed and Jay :D

You get the benefit of their knowledge they got from years of fooling around
with SBF's :hail2:

If one wanted to get the most from that benefit ;)
They'd contact them B E F O R E obtaining A N Y hot rod parts :Word:

I did just that myself and ended up getting M O R E than I expected :banana:

As said above ... A MUST IS ...........
know EXACTLY what you want and make those goals known to the guy :nice:

In a nutshell ... I gave Ed these specifications

Street Car application with an occasional trip to the 1/4 mile track

More of a focus on an early and broad torque curve than peak hp
My only concerns of drivability issues would be to pass emissions testing

One other concern I had :)

I did ask about the severity of cam lope :crazy:

At first it was more radical than I expected :eek:
then
A little work with the Tweecer smoothed things out :D

Good Luck with your decisions

Grady

• Sponsors (?)

yeah i snet him an email earlier this afternoon with what im looking to do/buy

I too have been exchanging emails with ED C... My only problem with him grinding me a cam is that he says I need to machine the spring pockets to fit the valve springs that I need BUT, I have no interest in pulling the heads off.. I'm planning on a wicked new motor here pretty soon so the would be basically for sound/intimidation anyway... Not sure what to do :shrug:

well he sent me back a LONG lengthy email. i got to fill out this little thing n send it back. but he gave me a listing of the upgrades that some of the guys mentioned, valve spring kits, etc... alot of deciding i gotta do..... sometimes i wanna just throw in the towel and go the easy way, but i have a feeling itll pay off in the end...

some of u guys who are runnin about 265-300hp, what are u running for times in a quarter? anyone runnin a modded motor with a stock aode? just tryin to see what id be lookin at

Mods and times are in my sig. If everything goes right my car will be going into the shop next week for the FTI camshaft install along with all the other parts. I'll get it back in about a week and then after I'll be off for the dyno tune to see not only the improvements w/ the new parts but with the FTI camshaft.

ok so i had a rebuilt tranny put in... again, its AODE and it when it was built by one of the tech schools over here, it was built very tightly so when i go into WOT and it down shifts, it downshifts hard.

anyways a friend said if i were to go with the trick flow set up i want with the custom cam, i wouldnt b in the high 13s on a 1/4... doesnt our vehicles run a 14 change stock?

well he sent me back a LONG lengthy email. i got to fill out this little thing n send it back. but he gave me a listing of the upgrades that some of the guys mentioned, valve spring kits, etc... alot of deciding i gotta do..... sometimes i wanna just throw in the towel and go the easy way, but i have a feeling itll pay off in the end...

some of u guys who are runnin about 265-300hp, what are u running for times in a quarter? anyone runnin a modded motor with a stock aode? just tryin to see what id be lookin at

quarter mile time is not just what the car is capable of doing, but more likely what the driver can doo,....Ive never been to the track soo i cant run my mouth too much :rolleyes: but I no a lot of people that have and they tell me the key to good times is "seat time"... good luck man!

ok so i had a rebuilt tranny put in... again, its AODE and it when it was built by one of the tech schools over here, it was built very tightly so when i go into WOT and it down shifts, it downshifts hard.

anyways a friend said if i were to go with the trick flow set up i want with the custom cam, i wouldnt b in the high 13s on a 1/4... doesnt our vehicles run a 14 change stock?

I think they are high 14's stock. You should be good for mid to low 13's w/ that set up depending on your driving ability and traction.

A stock AODE is going to be a handicap. I would talk to Ed C. and ask him what stall converter he recomends for the cam he cuts for you. This way you get the most out of it. A stock converter really hurts a stock 5.0 much less a modified one.

BTW. A stock AODE coupe ussually runs low 15's in the 1/4 IIRC. With the H/C/I and a good stall you should be good for high 12's

Ed gets pretty busy, I had to send him a few "reminder" e-mails regarding things I was asking but he always got back soon after and gave input on what I wanted to know.

What heads did you go with? Those Trick Flows ?