Cam with stock heads

• Sponsors (?)

As long as you understand the stock cam is pretty much optimal for a stock engine is is OK! You wont get a lot of bang for your buck for sure!! On the other side you will be preped for the new heads!! You are probably looking at best about 25 to 35 hp on the ground from new intake, new cam, and bigger TB and spacer!

Actually, I picked up quite a bit with using a aftermarket cam with stock heads. I went from having a mid 13 second car to a high 12 second car. That is with a custom cam though, optimized for my application. That was with the old motor, but I've still got the cam. My cam specs were real close to the trick flow stage I cam actually.

Stock valve springs don't handle lift over .500 very well, upgrade them.

A mild cam on stock heads will be good, but you can easily go too agressive. Mainly what a cam does is move the powerband upwards. If you get a cam which makes it's power above where the heads can flow, you'll loose power. You might gain a few horses, but loose too much torque.

If you're going to go to the trouble of doing a cam but are on a tight budget and don't want to invest in new heads, I'd say at least take your stock E7TE's off and port 'em. You'll get better flow and more power than if you leave them stock. You might also consider upgrading the springs while you're at it. That's an inexpensive way to go and believe me, it works.

Matt

SVT_97Cobra said:
I ported my E7's and got a ton of power. My buddie got some AFR 165's with basically the same mod's and mine was still faster. Click on "My 1st Stang" below and check it out. On page 2 shows my head work. I put in about 12 more hours after I took those pictures.

I got the same results with my ported stock heads. I also put in a cam with .514" lift, and I think 212 duration. It's a nice little cam, gives me a ton of low end, my top end it pretty much dead though, could be fuel starvation :shrug: I got an AFPR coming in the mail to replace my stock one, which is leaking from the seam, so we will see what happens if I crank up the pressure :)

Porting the heads was worth all the time I put into them.