Camaro ss vs. Mach 1 vs GT

player4lifeov

Mar 22, 2006
California
So i have two friends, one with a 2002 Camaro ss SLP edition auto(3.73 gears and exhaust minus headers) and a friend with a Mach 1 5 spd (exhaust system minus headers and CAI) and of course me with a 99 mustang gt (Vt stage 1 cams, 3.90, CAi, UD pullies, Diablo predator, off road x pipe and its a 5 spd). We all just want to go at each others throats and i wanted to know what you guys think the outcome will be. We're all suppose to race a quarter mile run and a run from a roll at 30 or so all the way to about 120. I'm more concern about 1/4 cuz thats all that matters to me. The ss has traction issues, mach 1 driver is not the best in the world, and i can driver better than both put together :D , im not trying to be modest or anything.

• Sponsors (?)

You'll lose....any way you slice it. Even if both of them blow it off the line, they'll run you down before the 1320 is over. And from a 30-roll (even if I do think roll racing is for ricers).....forget it!

My prediction is going to be trading victories back and forth between the Camaro and the Mach 1, with you bringing up the rear every time.

im not with stupid on that one lol.....i think it will be close you might loose buy a little....and i think if that camaro is the ls1 then you have no chance but against the mach 1 you do imo

you have a chance. I really think you need LT headers to have a better shot at the LS1 though.

If what you say about being the better driver is true, you can def. beat the Mach. Yeah, they'll put a hurtin on a stock GT, but with just exhaust and CAI vs. your mods (gears and cams expecially) you can beat him. Ive beaten an 03 mach with exhaust and DR's, and lost to an 04 mach (unknown mods) by a very small margin when I had my bolt-on and geared GT on all season tires. They are quick, but not unbeatable.

I think the LS1 will get you though, may be a close one.

*from a dig, at the track. I dont really care to guess on roll racing*

well my friend with mach 1 beats ls1 camaros all day, has yet to lose one race to a camaro or corvette with ls1 engines of course. I myself have beaten some ls1s and some 99-01 cobras, of course all these races were done at no more than 1320 ft. All these races were done w/ out my cam install. Vt stage 1 cams are S***!!!!

03GTconv said:
Hmmm......He beats LS1s all day!!!.....No...He beats the drivers of those LS1s!!.......

I think all you guys will be close to around 60 mph.....Then the SS is going to go bye bye!!!

:stupid:

I also just read he (his friend the Mach 1 Driver) hasn't lost to an LS1 Corvette either...... Machs are fast but not that fast! You must have some chitty cheby drivers over there where you live!

I mean granted, I beat a C6 Corvette at the Drag Strip the other day (he ran a 14.4) but still....BOTH those cars are faster than yours, even with your cams. If you beat them, you can officially brag that they are bad drivers....because you should be beat.

player4lifeov said:
So i have two friends, one with a 2002 Camaro ss SLP edition auto(3.73 gears and exhaust minus headers) and a friend with a Mach 1 5 spd (exhaust system minus headers and CAI) and of course me with a 99 mustang gt (Vt stage 1 cams, 3.90, CAi, UD pullies, Diablo predator, off road x pipe and its a 5 spd). We all just want to go at each others throats and i wanted to know what you guys think the outcome will be. We're all suppose to race a quarter mile run and a run from a roll at 30 or so all the way to about 120. I'm more concern about 1/4 cuz thats all that matters to me. The ss has traction issues, mach 1 driver is not the best in the world, and i can driver better than both put together :D , im not trying to be modest or anything.
Id say based on your mods, 275rwhp...give or take, vs a 310+rwhp SS and a 295+rwhp mach, I think that you will do alot better in the 1/4 vs a roll. You MIGHT lose by 1-2 cars to both though, but your car does weigh a bit less which helps you a bit. Heck out of 5 1/4 mile races, you might even win a couple depending on your launch.:nice:

two things to note:

a) the mach has a drag setup suspension that helps it dig for traction.

b) the mach has an aluminum motor AND a fiberglass hood = 150 pounds lighter.

Ive only ever been to the track once with my stock mach on stock tires to boot...and i managed a 13.8 @100...and thats pretty bad driving....

Out of curiosity, how many of you have actually ridden in or driven a cammed GT? They may only put down 285-300, but they pull like a mother.

Its gonna come down to the drivers. If you had LT's and 4.10s Id put my money on you over the Mach all day, and probably call it a toss up against the El Es Juan. As your car is now, its gonna be close with the Mach and the Camaro will probably get you.

I must say that the chevy people here are very cocky and they really cant drive worth a s***!!! My Friends mach 1 pulls really hard, you'd be surprised!!! My gt with teh cams runs really good and my launches are more than decent. As for the ss, well it has traction issues, so i think i can get him in the 1/4 mile. My other friend wants to join the race now!! Its a 99 cobra vert, it only has an x-pipe.

I have raced my friends 02 LS1 SLP SS...also had a dyno tune making 286RWHP on a mustang dyno out of 3 pulls. 1st was 26X (87 octain lol). Filled up with 93 and 2nd pull was 27X....3rd pull was 286. Im sure it would have went more.
Anyways I was making 248RWHP at the time.

From a slow roll at a stop out in 1st (maybe 10MPH when we jumped on it) I had him until around 70-75MPH, when he slowly but steadily pulled by and away from me. This guy can DRIVE too....powershifted 3-5th in the run and shifts at around 6500RPMs.

Ls1s are definatly not unbeatable...especially that auto LOL. If neither of them can drive you should easily win at the track. On the street they should all be close races. But without LTs, I think both will pull you slightly up top. LS1 should get pulled by the mach.

helty said:
Out of curiosity, how many of you have actually ridden in or driven a cammed GT? They may only put down 285-300, but they pull like a mother.

Its gonna come down to the drivers. If you had LT's and 4.10s Id put my money on you over the Mach all day, and probably call it a toss up against the El Es Juan. As your car is now, its gonna be close with the Mach and the Camaro will probably get you.

Agreed. Im really not sure what it is, but the cars really move. My 292RWHP GT was trapping what 320RWHP camaros were.....actually the night I ran all of the camaros/TAs were running 13.0-13.6 @ 104-109. I dont think any were stock. The one that was going 13.0s @ 109 was loud and noticably faster than the rest. I wasnt really worried about them....oh and all of the Machs were going mid 13s @ 102-104ish. Modded and stock.
RWHP doesnt mean much of anything....heck my GT has beaten a 400RWHP 3150# 2000 corvette from both a stop and a 50MPH roll.

LOOKING AT THE #s ON PAPER DOESNT MEAN ANYTHING. Driver is what makes a car fast....That and overall powerband.

player4lifeov said:
I must say that the chevy people here are very cocky and they really cant drive worth a s***!!! My Friends mach 1 pulls really hard, you'd be surprised!!! My gt with teh cams runs really good and my launches are more than decent. As for the ss, well it has traction issues, so i think i can get him in the 1/4 mile. My other friend wants to join the race now!! Its a 99 cobra vert, it only has an x-pipe.

If your referring to me....Im not a chevy guy...Ive had nothing but stangs...But love the SS....Im sure it will be a good race...but I just think the SS will get you guys in the long run....(60-65mph)

03GTconv said:
Vehicle Curb Wieghts and Stock Rwhp

99 Mustang GT- 3317 Lbs / 220-230 Rwhp
03 Mach 1 - 3465 Lbs / 265-275 Rwhp
02 Camaro SS - 3411 Lbs / 295-310 Rwhp
Those stats are fine, but if the posters car is the one thats in his avatar, he's driving a Convertible....which is considerably heavier and less rigid than a standard GT. That's going to work against him as well.

I must say that the chevy people here are very cocky and they really cant drive worth a s***!!! ------------HUH

Heh.......Thats funny......Dont knock those guys just cause there is difference in opinon.....Check out some of those LS1 websites and youll see High 10s low 11s Camaro and T/As runnin.....Pretty good drivers IMO..