Cams and TC's

• Thread starter Deleted member 38176
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38176

Why is a higher stall TC "recommended" for larger cams?

Can you run a stage 2 cam on the stock 4R70W converter although a 3500 is "recommended"?

• Sponsors (?)

Larger cams move the torque curve up in the RPM range. A higher stall will help allow you to get to that RPM much quicker.

There is also the chance that you can run into idle issues. The car is going to want to idle at about 900-1000rpm. When you go to put the car in drive, It is going to bog the car down, because the stock TC is not designed to idle at that RPM.

Granted my Stage II cams are 'blower' cams, and thus not quite as aggressive, I still think you'd be fine with the stock converter. I have no problems with low end torque at all with stock gears and converter. :D And since you have gears already, that helps a LOT. Think about it: the stock cams range are what 1800-5500? If new cams shift it up to 2500- 6200, just how long does it take your car, with 4.10s, to get to 2500 rpm from a dead stop? It isn't very long....

If your tuner doesn't spend a little time on the tune, you could have some problems with converter surge with a stock converter. My tuner is good, and every now and then, I'll still get a little converter surge. But at the same time, I have my idle set at 700 rpm. It gives no problems at 900.

If you get a stall, go no less than 3500. I have ridden in a car with a 3600 stall (can't remember exactly which one), but I couldn't tell it had one in it based on the part throttle characteristics.