Cams What should I do?

11sec.

Mar 20, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
:shrug: Well Im thinking about getting some cams for my 01 GT. I have nitrous now with a stock motor but its not enough!!! HAHA Imagine That!!!! Anywayz i was wanting some help figuring out what to go with with out having to do anything to my heads and valves and pistons? I know ill have to get it tuned but thats not a big deal!!! I just want it to sound mean at idal and have it perform alittle better. Please help me out id appreciate it THANKS

• Sponsors (?)

Look into Modular Headshop's nitrous cam. Its a great cam for when you aren't spraying and a beast when you do. Im not entirely sure but I think that they do not require upgraded springs.

Just remember that bigger is not always better when it comes to cams, especially on small-displacement engines like the 4.6 (281 cubic inches) that are hurting for torque already.

Big cams move the powerband up in the RPM band. If you don't do valve springs and don't do anything to strengthen the bottom end, you'll still be limited to a safe value of ~6000RPM and thus the power gain potential available from big cams is basically lost. And while the power band is moving up, torque is often lost down low, again, not a good thing on a small-inch motor already disadvantaged in this area.

For a stock motor on stock springs a "Stg 1" cam is a good bet. I've got Comp 262AHs on mine and when normally aspirated the car picked up ~25HP near redline without losing anything down low. There's a slight idle with them too, if that matters to you.

If you're in it for a lumpy idle I can't help much except suggest that, since you're going to need an aggressive cam, you upgrade the springs too.

Correct me if I am wrong, but, while your in there, go ahead and up grade to some higher quality springs and lifters. Don't you have to take the springs and lifters out for a cam change anyway?

Springs are completely dependent on the size of the cam and how high you're going to turn the motor RPM wise. On a small cam, often times stock springs are best because of their pressure ratings. Springs don't need to be removed in order to just remove/install cams.

Overhead cam engines don't use a traditional lifter setup like a pushrod engine. The lifters are more often called followers in an OHC setup, and don't need to be removed either to remove/install cams. The stock pieces are pretty stout from what I've seen. Ford did their homework for the valvetrain in their SOHC/DOHC mod motors.

Springs are completely dependent on the size of the cam and how high you're going to turn the motor RPM wise. On a small cam, often times stock springs are best because of their pressure ratings. Springs don't need to be removed in order to just remove/install cams.

Overhead cam engines don't use a traditional lifter setup like a pushrod engine. The lifters are more often called followers in an OHC setup, and don't need to be removed either to remove/install cams. The stock pieces are pretty stout from what I've seen. Ford did their homework for the valvetrain in their SOHC/DOHC mod motors.

:nice:, I was wondering if these mod motors get valve float, thus me supporting upgrading the springs, so how hard would a cam install be w/o removal of springs/followers. Could a home mechanic do the job/install in a day?

Just to clarify: the "followers" in these engines are akin to the rocker arms in a pushrod engine and do have to be removed when changing the cams. They just pop out. The "lifter" is what's different. While the OHC engines do have the same functional part (i.e. a hydraulic lash adjuster), they don't operate in the same geometry as the "lifter" in a pushrod engine and don't have to be removed.

Well Ive heard from some ppl that everything will clear even with a stage 3 cam and others say the S292 will have PTV probs.....So I just wanted to make sure also if anybody has any videos of there different cam sounds fill free to send them to me thanks!!!