Cams?

PAN1K

Jun 30, 2011
Northeast Alabama
I have a 1999 GT with underdrive pulleys, a cold air intake, and an exhaust (typical bolt ons), but now i'm starting to get the itch for some real hp...

I wanna get some cams and go from there so I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for some good ones. Also, if I get new cams, what else am I going to need to pair with them. Thanks for any input!

• Sponsors (?)

Unfortunately, cams won't get you "real hp" from these cars. With a good selection of cams, longtubes and a tune, you could expect 30-40+ rwhp depending on your setup.

It's a very expensive mod for the power gained. Cams are about $600 on up for most, plus $200ish or more for valve springs if you go with a more aggressive set of cams, plus install and tuning at the minimum (if not doing either yourself).

My philosophy on camming a 2v is this... best time to do it is if you're pulling the engine apart for a different issue. Otherwise, I'd make sure the car had full exhaust (longtubes!), gears and a solid tune.

I forgot to mention that I just recently bought an SCT tuner from Am. Muscle. I figured that is about what I'd have to pay for cams and I'm getting ready for that. I would love to do longtubes and a set of gears, but the car is my daily driver and it's already so loud on the interstate as is, plus I can't afford the extra gas money a set of gears would cost me :/ I do plan on getting both some longtubes and a set of 3.73's once I don't have to drive it as much.

What I was really asking is if I get a new set of cams, am I going to need new heads, valve springs, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
What I was really asking is if I get a new set of cams, am I going to need new heads, valve springs, etc.

Not necessarily. Check out Modular Headshop's website. They have a stage 2 cam that doesn't need valve springs and would work well with stock gears. Adding LT headers down the line would only improve this. The cams are $600, degree service is $150, and you could also replace the timing components (may as well) for another $200. If you're mechanically inclined, it really isn't that difficult to do with the engine in the car. You don't need to remove the heads or anything. I installed my stage 2 cams on a weekend day by myself with standard hand tools.

Reactions: 1 user
I installed a set of Comp Cams 270AH with new springs on my 2003. I love the way these cams sound, they give it a nice lopey idle, and really pulls in the higher RPM's. You will have some idle issues until you get a tune burnt for it. I get compliments all the time on the sound of these as well.