Can 5.0s pass emissions w/o smog pump but/cats?

• Sponsors (?)

I dont have cat or pump and i fail HC at idle and Pass everything at cruise. Note: my engine runs like **** at idle right now and i have issues. I dont live in a emission attainment area so it doesnt affect me. I just took it to work and put it on the 4 gas for curiosity. On other hand my friends 5.0 with no cats but smog pump passed with flying colors.

I live in Illinois too in the Naperville area I run a O/R h-pipe with no cats I havent had an emissions test done on it because I knew it would never pass so I just registered my car to a P.O. box in a far far west suburb that doesnt require emissions testing. Its probably not very legal way to do it but oh well. I know this is no help to you but thought I would chime in.

RRMerlin
86 GT

The airpump is old emmisions technology designed to assist the cats. On a proper working engine they are not needed. Also, if you have aftermarket cats, the airpump is just wasted weight. It does effect the computer and will show a code, but no check engine light.

I used to pass every year like that when I lived in Florida and when they had emissions. I would bolt on the CATS once a year, drive to the emissions station, pass, and drive home and take them off and store them until the next year. I never went through the trouble of bolting up the smog pump.

Then Florida realized that emissions testing was a waste of time and money and scratched the whole thing.

Now I moved to Dallas and here we go again. Now only if they would realize the waste of time and money we would be OK......