Can a 96 PI run with this Supercharger?

• Sponsors (?)

that won't bolt directly to your PI heads. They do have that blower for your car with PI heads available from ford. You could alway buy it and swap the old heads back on. Sell your PI heads and get some cams.

No, like droptop said, it wont bolt on. As for supercharging the higher compression will limit you greatly. Procharger says that cars running 10-10.5 compression need to have an intercooled system and then can run about 6 lbs of boost. And even at that....who knows how long it will run like that without a problem...

A mechanic that is working on my car said that the only way you can put any supercharger on even a 6 psi one when you have PI heads is to have them bord out...or it will reck the heads becuase of too high compression...

mrvax said:
Even with 6lbs intercooled, you'd be running on borrowed time. Once you've done the PI swap, the best power adder and safest would be nitrous.

01Steeda said:
I know of a local car running 10:1 with 8lbs intercooled, been that way for maybe 2 years now. It's all in the tune and timing.
You guys are forgetting though, the SVO (FRPP) kit is non-intercooled. Which makes it that much trickier to work with on a high compression engine. If he can get it cheap, I'd go for it. He could always spend the money he saves over a new one on upgraded rods/pistons to both strengthen his bottom end and lower the compression to something a little more blower friendly. Or, pull the PI heads, sell them off and use the money to partially finance a ported set of Non-PI heads with the PI hardware. Just a couple of options. :)

How much is this thing cheap? Are there any other options for a cheap roots supercharger?
My engine has like 107k on it. I am thinking that when it goes out, put in a new 4.6 SOHC in it.
How much harder would it be to put in a 4.6 DOHC?

You won't find a cheaper (less expensive) blower than the SVO (FRPP) unit. If you can get this one for under 2-grand, you’re already way ahead of the game. Yeah, there are others out there that will make more power, but not for that amount of money. 107K is nothing for a modular engine, especially one with modest power levels. If you can get your compression levels under control with either method I suggested above, then I wouldn’t even worry about it.

If you’re set on spending the money on a new engine, then you should at the very least save up for a built one. You could spend anywhere from $2-4K, depending on the extent of the build and who you have doing it for you. FWIW, the DOHC swap will be a lot more work than just bolting the blower onto the SOHC, and the blown 2V will net you better results.

Look at it this way.....Aside from Nitrous (which is only there as long as the bottle is full) you'll never make that kind of power, for that little money with any other mod. Not to mention you'll maintain perfect drivability and fuel economy when you're not using it. Which is more than I can say for any radical bolt on route. Spend a few more dollars and get your NPI heads ported and retrofitted with the PI hardware and you'll really see some gains. :nice:

Instead of putting the npi heads back on, save up for a new forged short block and transfer your PI stuff on to it. Then look at blowers. Or if you can't wait that long get a set of P&P heads with cams and bolt them on your current block. Then down the line when you get a built short block....

dollarbill said:
Instead of putting the npi heads back on, save up for a new forged short block and transfer your PI stuff on to it. Then look at blowers. Or if you can't wait that long get a set of P&P heads with cams and bolt them on your current block. Then down the line when you get a built short block....
You're talking about a whole different level of performance and expence though. It kinda takes the "economical" part of it out of the fray, don't you think? Built short block, brand new blower, cams, etc, etc ;) Not to mention Ported NPI heads will outperform a set of stock PI's, by a fairly large margin. This way, he gets to stick with the stock compression ratio with his original short block and the SVO blower won't make enough power to seriously put his stock short block in jeopardy……all while still turning his car into an easy 12-second performer.

What would it cost to port the crap out of the npi heads and do a reverse PI swap. He already tore the motor apart once to do the swap, why do it again? If going for cheap, tear it back apart and put pistons in it to lower the compression, then use the frpp blower. I could go either way I guess. I wish I had spent the jack on P&P Romeo heads so I could use them on a built block later. He's already making 255 rwhp couldn't he just upgrade cams and springs and see a good gain with a tune...30+rwhp

dollarbill said:
What would it cost to port the crap out of the npi heads and do a reverse PI swap. He already tore the motor apart once to do the swap, why do it again? If going for cheap, tear it back apart and put pistons in it to lower the compression, then use the frpp blower.
Either way you do it, the heads are coming off. It would be cheaper for him to port and polish his NPI heads and retrofit them with the PI valves and cams than it would to rebuild the shortblock in order to lower the compression.
dollarbill said:
He's already making 255 rwhp couldn't he just upgrade cams and springs and see a good gain with a tune...30+rwhp
Probably, but not the kind of power and drivability he'd see with the blower. Cams and springs alone aren't going to give him 30rwhp......15-20 if he's lucky.