Can a CAI be too big???

Hey all. I have a 92 LX with a HCI 302. I am currently running an Anderson Ford Motorsport 4" Power pipe with a 80mm Pro-M Maf to a 70mm T-body. My question is, can there be too big of an intake pipe that it will hurt performance??? Everyone I talk to debates whether it will hurt intake velocity. Anderson Ford says that all the velocity occurs in the manifold past the t-body. I am looking for other opinions on the subject whether I should keep this system or drop down to a 3.5 inch system???

• Sponsors (?)

meangreen92lx said:
Hey all. I have a 92 LX with a HCI 302. I am currently running an Anderson Ford Motorsport 4" Power pipe with a 80mm Pro-M Maf to a 70mm T-body. My question is, can there be too big of an intake pipe that it will hurt performance??? Everyone I talk to debates whether it will hurt intake velocity. Anderson Ford says that all the velocity occurs in the manifold past the t-body. I am looking for other opinions on the subject whether I should keep this system or drop down to a 3.5 inch system???

For most people, a 3" system is enough. 4" sometimes causes a lean condition. I think a 3.5" would work fine too.

Ultimately, flow to the engine is limited by the diameter of the throttle body, as well as the diameter of the maf. I think engine output would only be affected by too small a pipe. BTW, what other mods do you have to your car? Sometimes a too large tb and maf can hurt performance too...