can a chip fry the ecu?

95WhiteVenom

Founding Member
Oct 27, 2002
Alabama
Well today after taking a good look at the ecu i found a performance chip was plugged in. Superchip as it was labled. I had no idea it was on the car I have owned for 5 years. The car did start acting more and more crazy each time I did a mod to it. (ex. 80 pro-m among others).
Could this chip have fried my ecu and cause me to not be getting the spark needed to make the car fire off and run.

:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

I really doubt it could do anything. When you pulled codes, one of them might have indicated a chip was there (I cant remember which code pops up - I think it's one for ROM error (to that effect).

95WhiteVenom said:
Well today after taking a good look at the ecu i found a performance chip was plugged in. Superchip as it was labled. I had no idea it was on the car I have owned for 5 years. The car did start acting more and more crazy each time I did a mod to it. (ex. 800 pro-m among others).
Could this chip have fried my ecu and cause me to not be getting the spark needed to make the car fire off and run.

:SNSign:
You put a 800 pro M on.......wow....thats a lot of air....LOL
Edited....schooled by Don...lol
Will

The chip can fry the ECU if it somehow wiggles loose while the ignition is on. Yanking a chip with the ignition on is a sure way to fry the EEC and the chip. I suppose if you hit enough bumps and it was loose, it could have fried the EEC. I doubt yours is fried from what you say, mainly because when they die, the FP runs continuously and the car won't even start - usually. Sometimes it will run , but with lots of problems.

If you are replacing the distributor, if it were me, I'd get a stock replacement - nothing works better and many people have had problems with aftermarket units.

Don

Don 95Vert said:
The chip can fry the ECU if it somehow wiggles loose while the ignition is on. Yanking a chip with the ignition on is a sure way to fry the EEC and the chip. I suppose if you hit enough bumps and it was loose, it could have fried the EEC. I doubt yours is fried from what you say, mainly because when they die, the FP runs continuously and the car won't even start - usually. Sometimes it will run , but with lots of problems.

If you are replacing the distributor, if it were me, I'd get a stock replacement - nothing works better and many people have had problems with aftermarket units.

Don

Same with the tweecer.....very scary, which is why I made a custom mount setup for mine.
Scott

yea whoops on the pro-m its an 80. I just dropped off the MSD with the mechanic. I was gonna drop it in myself but i got plans for the night plus im still pissed at the car.
The dizzy is gonna be put in tom. morning. I'm almost positive this is my last stop with parts. I'm pretty sure that this was the prob.

I had an MSD dizzy for a few thousand miles, and it crapped out. I didn't know for sure it was the dizzy, but I still had the factory unit. I stuck the stocker back in, and its been fine ever since.

As far as the chip, I have seen a lot of people stick those suckers in without unplugging the battery. Deffinetly causes some problems.

Hope your issue is solved with the dizzy.