Can A Ps Pump Pulley That Is On Backwards Be Removed?

• Sponsors (?)

You will need to rent or buy a PS steering puller. The PS pulley has a ridge that the puller seats on. Then you crank the screw on the middle of the puller to get the pulley off the shaft.

w87020.jpg

You can rent the tool at Autozone or other auto parts stores.

I have used a bearing separator & harmonic balancer puller together to do the job.

Use the bolt looking part of this tool to put it back on...

1MZR3_AS01.JPG

I usually just use the bolt that comes with the new PS pump.

The PS pump tool will not work because the ridge on the pulley is now facing backwards and won't be able to get the tool on. I know I will end up replacing the pulley but will a 3 jaw puller take off the pulley without damaging the pump?

@gnx547

You must have something really odd. All the power steering pulleys I have seen have a tapered hole for the pump shaft. One end of the pulley tapered hole is closed up and has a hole for a bolt. With this configuration, it is impossible to install the pulley on backwards. However, it is possible to put the pump mounting bracket on backwards which will require removing the pulley. Is that what has happened to you?

I once attempted to remove a pulley with a 3 jaw puller BEFORE i realized there was a proper tool to do so. I really didn't have much luck getting the pulley off, and I damaged the pulley enough that I had to throw it away.

I looked at the mounting bracket and it is not on backwards.. Here is the front of the pulley and as you can see it is on backwards and there not much of a lip for the removal tool to grip and hold on to.

24x2qgg.jpg

23v2fb.jpg

2s00bc9.jpg

207xt7m.jpg

Could you fit the 3 arms in the slots? That may work... If not find a shop/garage with a press and that would fix it fast and maybe save the pulley.

Simple solution: put a bearing splitter behind the pulley and use a harmonic balancer puller. Thread the bolts for the balancer puller through the holes and into the bearing splitter. Center the balancer puller up and make sure you have the right size tip on the balancer puller where it presses against the pump shaft. Hang onto the balancer puller and pump and then crank away on the balancer puller center screw..

Google'd picture - you get the idea....

images

Thanks..I will try that method to get the pulley out..Luckily today I found one at the junk yard. I paid $20 for the pump and pulley. I installed the pulley, and there is very little play, movement on the pulley back and forth, is this normal? Should there be some play? Or no play at all?