Can an alternator be too powerful??

• Sponsors (?)

I need a new alternator...and figure why not just go big?

Instead of just getting a 130...why not get a 200? Can that hurt anything? Are there any disadvantages other than price?

Thanks!

You won't hurt anything going to a higher-ampacity alternator. If the electrical accessories in the car don't demand draw on this extra capacity (that is, if the 130A was cutting it already) you won't see any benefits either.

Great, thanks for the answer!

Now...can anyone tell me the difference between the large case and small case alternator?

I have a 98 block, but have the upgraded intake, etc...so I want to get a newer alternator..because it has the additional support bracket on top...just don't know the difference between the large and small case..here are the links:

PA-Performance is dedicated to offering high quality products to every consumer utilizing the Internet. - PA Performance - You Only Buy Quality Once ! 1.877.471.8010

PA-Performance is dedicated to offering high quality products to every consumer utilizing the Internet. - PA Performance - You Only Buy Quality Once ! 1.877.471.8010

here is what I have now:

blower2.jpg

You are going to be fine puting a 200 in there but something to keep in mind for other cars you might work on like a Fox body or a classic (or even a non-Ford *gasp*). If the gauge of wire you are using on the original alternator you replace is small, you may want to upgrade it and put an inline fuse in there as well. Its a safety precaution. Never a bad idea to add an inline fuse and it could save your car if something bad happens.

You are going to be fine puting a 200 in there but something to keep in mind for other cars you might work on like a Fox body or a classic (or even a non-Ford *gasp*). If the gauge of wire you are using on the original alternator you replace is small, you may want to upgrade it and put an inline fuse in there as well. Its a safety precaution. Never a bad idea to add an inline fuse and it could save your car if something bad happens.

I was going to upgrade that as well...thanks for the tip!

Do you know the difference between the small and large cases?

If the physical bolt patern is the same then I don't think it matters. The smaller casings are the newer ones. I know you can use the regular larger casing 3G or the smaller casing 3G that have the 2 mount points at opposite ends of the alternator body. I think the kind you have has 3 mount points and I'm not sure if the physical dimensions are the same. If you have a good electrical service shop in the area they can take yours appart and rebuild it into a 200A.