Can an old battery affect how my car runs?

My battery is 7 years old, cranking slow and I'm noticing a sputter when not under load. When driving along at an even pace with little load (pulling or pushing) on the engine, I get these random misfires. Changed the plugs from NGK copper to NGK iridium and it seemed to get a slight bit worse.

• Sponsors (?)

The cranking slow part, yes.

I replaced my battery and I was stunned at how much faster it turned over.

I also have a random mis-fire problem, somtimes at idle and it did not go away with a new battery.

More likely the coil packs, but try the battery first.

Yes. I have an OLD Motorcraft battery in my 91 notch. It cranks slow, but it always starts. Even after sitting all winter in a non-heated, non-insulated garage, and without disconnecting the battery, it started up after TWO winters. Unreal. The newer battery in my Cobra always dies. Same garage, and I even disconnected it this year, thinking maybe last year, I had a small draw in the car.

I agree with what everyone else says.

But a battery is only needed to start the car,after it has started you could really take the battery out and it will stay running provided the altenator is good.A battery shouldnt affect the way the car runs.If im wrong correct me,the way cars change who knows.

Heres an ex:,yrs back when I worked as a pizza delivery driver my battery looked as if it exploded,but I had to keep working so I could get the $$$ for a new battery,heres the funny part....I would park the car on a incline at the pizza place and at home so that when I needed to start the car I would just put it in 1st,roll down the hill and pop the clutch to start it up....:rlaugh:Did that for nearly a week....:nono:

The answer is "Yes".

I went out today to take a nice ride on a Sunny Sunday and the car wouldn't start. Battery dies on the first 3 cranks. Went to the parts stores and got the best one I could buy. After I put it in, the car never ran better. I took it for a ride for about an hour and never heard one skip or miss. Problem solved.

I just saw this thread and I had almost the exact same symptoms with my GT a few months ago. The battery was tired (9 yr old stocker). I was getting the instrument cluster "sweep" with the needles and the car just didn't seem as smooth as it should have but the problems went away with the new batt. Glad your car is better now!

Never thought a battery could do so much. My car just completly turned off when I was at a red light. Called my friend up to go to my house to swap the Battery from my mustang GT and problem solved. I had noticed slower acceleration for two weeks before the battery died. Now my car also runs smooth.

My battery is 7 years old, cranking slow and I'm noticing a sputter when not under load. When driving along at an even pace with little load (pulling or pushing) on the engine, I get these random misfires. Changed the plugs from NGK copper to NGK iridium and it seemed to get a slight bit worse.

As batteries get older they typically tend to appear as more resistance to the circuit, meaning the alternator.
This means the alternator has to work harder to charge it as well as making it more difficult to keep the car running due to the parasitic drain the battery is providing.

Dump it and when you install the new battery and give it a day or so to charge fully, put a meter across the battery with the car running and you should see 14.0VDC or greater, approx.

i took my car out and it was running fine then i started sputtering and skipping really bad. i fig it was the plugs even thow they are a week old i dnt have the car tuned with no cats, injectors and what not would make it run rich and foul out the plugs or do i need a new batt.. the one in the car looks fairly new(came with the car)

I agree with what everyone else says.

you could really take the battery out and it will stay running provided the altenator is good.A battery shouldnt affect the way the car runs.

Myth!
Eventually the car will turn off..you'll need to drive it for like 15 20 minutes, but eventually you'll start having issues