Can anyone figure out this wiring mess???

JonDawg

Mstng2 supplied me with my pair
Founding Member
Hi all. I finally got around to wiring the stang, or at least Im trying to figure out the mess. Now, Im in a quandery about the ignition wire. This this has its own wiring to the coil. It is/was wired to a switch, but with the coil, and a big electric fan, its melting these puny lil switches down fast. So, Ive decided to run the coil off of the factory wiring. Hence my problem:

I ran a Tester across every wire I could see (to see which one turns on when I turn the key to "run") The problem is, none of them light up ('cept one) The one that lights up immediately dies if the engine stops. :mad: I believe its powering the control for the alternater. If the Engine is running, then the wire is hot, but it doesnt power up while Im cranking the motor. :shrug:

So, does anyone know what color the wire is that Im supposed to be looking for?? I only assume it should be coming out of the fuse box.....yeah, thats quite a mess too. Or, does anyone know of a link to a wiring diagram?

heres a couple pics to show the mess that Im talking about.

Thank you all for the help. :nice:

Attachments

• POL_0409.JPG
    POL_0409.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 151
  • POL_0408.JPG
    POL_0408.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 169
  • Sponsors (?)

One of these days I'm going to load all my wiring diagrams into acrobat readerif I can get my hands on a scanner.
I have all of them in my Hanes manual.
Pretty reliable too !
If you can get a Hanes manual, probably e-bay, or an older parts store,it will make your troubleshooting 100% easier.

After looking at those pictures, I would say you need one.
Do you have access to an ohmmeter/voltmeter?
Your going to need one.

Mstng2 said:
ugh, JonDawg thas one big pile oh spaghetti.... ever thougth about a painless wireing harness? Your welcome to stop by when your in town and look at the wireing on my II...
hey John, I was lookin thru summit last night for one, but none were a general fit, and none for anything close to a II. I know uh ?? IIcrazy ?? did his, where can I get one for a deal?? I take it thats what you used. How hard was it?? Any pics??

OTOH- I can keep wiring things seperately, and eventually chop out all of the stock wires. Its worked so far, but its sooooooooooooo frustrating too.

COBRAIIW said:
If you can get a Hanes manual, probably e-bay, or an older parts store,it will make your troubleshooting 100% easier.

I just picked mine up from partsamerica.com (aka advance autoparts) and I believe it was $15.99.

So there ya' go.. do yourself a favor, lots of great info in there. In fact, mine just arrived this afternoon.

Jon,
No actually I am useing the OEM one. I just thought with that pile of spaghetti you may want to consider a different route. Even if you can figure it out you 'll never get all those wires under control and it will look ugly or as my friends say "ooogly!!" llol :rolleyes:

DarkFireGT said:
I just picked mine up from partsamerica.com (aka advance autoparts) and I believe it was $15.99.

So there ya' go.. do yourself a favor, lots of great info in there. In fact, mine just arrived this afternoon.

Yep, I know I got one sumwhere. But its probably easier to buy another one than to find the one I have (another mess, different story.

Mstng2 said:
Jon,
No actually I am useing the OEM one. I just thought with that pile of spaghetti you may want to consider a different route. Even if you can figure it out you 'll never get all those wires under control and it will look ugly or as my friends say "ooogly!!" llol :rolleyes:

Im really starting to agree. Or like Mark said, Sawzall em all and start fresh. :nonono: What a mess.

Actually,

I could get all them suckers back in place and make hte harness like nothing had ever happened.

Ask Sleeper, He's an Aircraft Spark Chaser, he could probably do it better than me.

No offence , but , could you afford my rate? And could you get me the car?

I don't hold Web classes.

Pretty much what you've done is pulled the sheath and spread the loome out and want us to talk you through it.

No hugs and kisses here, only the opposite.

Buy yourself some tooling, my meter cost ~ $400 and it's only a basic unit.

Do some spark chasing and get back to us. Figure out what does what where.

Reality is a harsh mistress.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Well I C the old Mark has returned. Look Freak, Ive owned about 9 IIs in the last 10 years. All have left my hands in better shape than I bought them in.
As far as stringin the loom out, It was about that bad when I got it, and pulling out the V6 damaged a few of the wires. All I was looking for was some info on which wire went to the ignition module or the coil. It turns out its a red/light green one. Thanks for the .pdf file Jeff, It was a great help. :nice: See, now theres a guy you could learn from.

Also, whats with your hypocracy, Mark?? II owners are always whining about Mustang clubs being "selective" and not accepting the II or their enthusiasts. Now your trying to turn around and do the same crap with "your" lil hobby????......wtf?

Ok, thats the last Time Ill get off topic here. Hey everyone, thank you for all the help. Ive got a few ideas to chase down tonite. Ill keep you updated.

Peace out yo :nice:
Jon

MadMark said:
Actually,
I could get all them suckers back in place and make hte harness like nothing had ever happened.
Ask Sleeper, He's an Aircraft Spark Chaser, he could probably do it better than me.
No offence , but , could you afford my rate? And could you get me the car?
I don't hold Web classes.
Pretty much what you've done is pulled the sheath and spread the loome out and want us to talk you through it.
No hugs and kisses here, only the opposite.
Buy yourself some tooling, my meter cost ~ $400 and it's only a basic unit.
Do some spark chasing and get back to us. Figure out what does what where.
Reality is a harsh mistress.

ha ha i was going to leave this alone.... but could you show us some qualification, show me dont tell me. i need real proof so i know you are worthy
mabye a picture of you or your car.. only then can you be judged on your qualifications.. if not then i am calling you out and saying your a fake with a lot of pictires of mustang parts that probably dont have your fingerprints on them anyway..show me something MR. know it all!!! prove it to all of us how
worthy you are of a labor rate..