can I benefit from porting my lower Performer manifold?

rockin_rick

Oct 9, 2003
With my combo as listed in the sig, is it worth my $$$$ to have my performer lower intake manifold ported? If it was getting done, I'd have Tmoss do it, if he would.

How much torque/HP would I gain and where in the powerband would it be?

Thanks,
Rick

• Sponsors (?)

I would just have to think it would give a gain Rick.

Gotta give you more air flow and ..................

More Flow = More Go :banana:

A while back you told me you were pushing your 24's to their limit.
Do you think the extra flow from the porting will be the death of those 24's?

Grady

Rick, my example to you would be GTJake, who doesn't come around much anymore. He had his lower done by Tom and it yielded the best FTI/AFR numbers I've ever seen from a low-shift-point, stock block 302.

It could have been due to the fact that his motor only had about 20k original miles on it, but I sincerely doubt that compression/"newness" played that much of a factor.

Like the "old man" Grady :)D) said, I'd say go for it.

Joe

final5-0 said:
A while back you told me you were pushing your 24's to their limit.
Do you think the extra flow from the porting will be the death of those 24's?

Grady

Ahhhhh, most likely... hmmmm I forgot about that. I'll have to consider the cost of some 30's in there too, I guess.

I wonder just how much flow and go....

Rick

IIRC, GTJake also had a RPM, though. His setup planted this thought seed in my head a while back... Maybe I should consider a RPM... But I wonder if I'd just give up low end for high end and have a net result of no change of area under the curve :shrug:

My motor has less that 10K on it :nice:

Rick

rockin_rick said:
IIRC, GTJake also had a RPM, though. His setup planted this thought seed in my head a while back... Maybe I should consider a RPM... But I wonder if I'd just give up low end for high end and have a net result of no change of area under the curve :shrug:

My motor has less that 10K on it :nice:

Rick

I don't think you would loose very much low end Rick and here is a thought or two on why I think that way. :shrug:

I've got Jakes dyno pull and many others on these forums all in one Excell file that allows me to easily compare them to each other.

When you compare Jakes ported lower to my non ported lower this is kinda how it looks.

The diff between tq curves down low was my advantage to the range of 10 to 20 lbs from the range of 2250 to 2800 rpm and then at about 3300 rpm he matched me and just stayed up on me with a range of 15 to 20 lbs all the way out to a little less than 6K.

Another thing to consider about those two curves is ............
at the time of that pull, Jake had not worked with his tune a whole lot and after talking to him, I felt he had more in it with a bit more tweecing.

IIRC, he did not have his spark curve setup for a quick rate of advance and his total was pretty low with a value of something like 28 or there abouts.

As you know Rick, getting the spark in quicker really makes a difference you can feel so I don't think I'd be outta line in saying his low end was a bit softer than it could have been due to the lazy spark curve.

Grady

FWIW When I was running a stock 165k mile 302 with ported E7's, F-cam, 1.6rr, and Stock intake, I made 260rwhp and 278 rwtq. I then switched to one of the early typhoon intakes(RPM clone) I gained 10rwhp and 15rwtq also the peak hp moved up from 5200 to 6000 and I think my torque peaked out pretty close to the same vs. stock intake. With this combo my best ET was a 13.4ish at 103. I was running untuned. Other mods were 75mm TB and MAF, 30# inj., MAC LT's, Prochamber, Cat-back, CAI and timing at 12°.

Just throwing out a little info to justify that you will not see a big drop in low end power by switching to a RPM intake.

Joes95GT said:
Rick, my example to you would be GTJake, who doesn't come around much anymore. He had his lower done by Tom and it yielded the best FTI/AFR numbers I've ever seen from a low-shift-point, stock block 302.

It could have been due to the fact that his motor only had about 20k original miles on it, but I sincerely doubt that compression/"newness" played that much of a factor.

Like the "old man" Grady :)D) said, I'd say go for it.

Joe

Actually, Toms89LX50 had the best stock bottom afr/fti numbers at a low rpm. He made 347rwhp. He used a ported rpm manifold and a HELL of a camshaft. Made killer low end and ran hard upstairs!

As far as I know, Jake had a Performer manifold....

I know he tore up the motor, and maybe that's when he changed. I know his initial numbers were the biggest I've ever seen for a AFR/FTI/Performer car.

Joe

Joes95GT said:
As far as I know, Jake had a Performer manifold....

I know he tore up the motor, and maybe that's when he changed. I know his initial numbers were the biggest I've ever seen for a AFR/FTI/Performer car.

Joe

Yes he was running a Performer. He also trapped 110mph his first time out without a great 60 foot.

how much could you get a performer (entire manifold) to flow if you had to take guess Tom? I am just curious, but do you think you could get it to flow over 250, and with porting it out that much and still having the longer runners it would still hold all its low end and possibly gain some right?

250~270 is not a problem, even higher. How much is max depends on how much time is put into the work - but why go to extremes? I only recommend what is economically feasible for what you need. Done properly, an intake will not loose low end due to the intake work. The dynos I have of before-and-afters have shown no loss down low and gains over most of (if not all) the rpm range.

I'm getting a lower ported by Tom soon:nice:

Toms89lx50 made those numbers with some tricks like low accessories/afw/and higher revving engine.

A higher 60ft can usually relate to a higher mph in general. Just because one has a "worse" 60ft doesn't mean it hurts their performance. In fact some of my worst 60ft's (a bit to much spin) induced my highest traps because off the line your putting out more power even though it causes you to spin. Hope that made sense:shrug:

5spd GT said:
Toms89lx50 made those numbers with some tricks like low accessories/afw/and higher revving engine.

His car peaked @ a low 5,800 and was nose diving after 6,000. I'm starring at the graph now. You won't see a power difference on the dyno with lighter internals, you'll see that @ the track.

The ported performer lower sounds like a nice upgrade for you low rpm 302 guys :nice:

Tom, what kinda gains can be seen with port matching a lower to the head? I have a slight port mismatch with my R lower and heads but I think it may be due to the heads being milled a bit and the block being decked to 0.

So what is a "nose dive". 5,800rpm is higher than most 302 afr/fti combos peak at on the street. That isn't "low".

Good question by the way. I believe Tom allows you to send him a stitch of the heads and he can match them. Is their an extra cost to doing that?