Can I go back to regular oil after using full synthetic?

timewarped1972 said:
what about the blended stuff? i've used that as its half and half, but cheaper than full synthetic.
this is a whole 'nother can of worms. problem is that the same brands that use cracked base stock as synthetics, use the same stuff in their blends. so you are getting a blend of dino base and a mix of more refined dino base stock (like a group III).
ive only read specs on one brand of blend, and the batch tested showed anywhere from 12-22% group III mixed in with the normal dino oil (the group III is considered the synthetic, though it is not PAO base stock). so really it is 75% or more dino oil and 25% or less normal dino oil.

but if it costs a little more a quart, go for it. probably mostly a peace of mind thing anyhow. ive used it before......(whatever that is worth. oh wait i know. that and 10 bucks will get you a coffee). :)

• Sponsors (?)

408stroker5.0 said:
Just a myth is all it is. You could use a different name brand, and a different type of oil in your engine every oil change and it woudn't matter. Synthetic is definetly the way to go. Not that Conventional is bad or anything..... But Synthetic is great as it's reduces friction, cleaner engine, less break down etc. etc. etc. etc. The money you pay for synthetic is worth it in the long run.

RED LINE OIL!!!

Has anyone ever witnessed the wax left behind by penzoil and all other parafin based oils? I saw a motor when I was in school that had 300 thousand on it. The oil was changed every 3 months or 3000 miles. The oil pan had about 3 inches of wax build up in it, the motor was rebuilt because it showed way full after only 3 qts of oil. This was a 460 out of a dodge van. By the way the crosshatch was still there and no noticible ridging. Just thought I would share :nice:

Camman said:
Has anyone ever witnessed the wax left behind by penzoil and all other parafin based oils? I saw a motor when I was in school that had 300 thousand on it. The oil was changed every 3 months or 3000 miles. The oil pan had about 3 inches of wax build up in it, the motor was rebuilt because it showed way full after only 3 qts of oil. This was a 460 out of a dodge van. By the way the crosshatch was still there and no noticible ridging. Just thought I would share :nice:

Yep. A 350 chevy that's valley was nothing but wax with just enough room for the lifter to pass through! Parafin is also used in Quaker State. Both pennzoil and quaker state are pure ****. Might as well pee in the crank case before you put that crap in there. If anyone has seen the tests done on oils (I think the API does them) they're both usually fighting for worst and second to worst. BTW the last report I saw Castrol GTX was rated the best. Motorcraft/Halvoline tends to do well (which is what I use).

Man we could talk about this stuff for months and never cover the same subject twice.