Can I modify tailpipes to fit? Please read

86Five-0

May 6, 2003
New Jersey
I gave up on installing my tailpipes. They're 2.5" tails from a previous Flowmaster cat-back. I got some unknown replacement mufflers that were on the car when I bought it. They look to be stainless. Anyway, I've tried installing these damn tails with no avail. These mufflers are shorter/wider than the Flows that I had before. I bought reducers and whatnot but they look like they'll rub all over the place and are still short, they don't stick out past the rear bumper. I'm plannin on takin the car to my mechanic to see what he can do. Anyone think torchin the tails and bending them around to fit would be a problem? I've seen shops heat up andbend exhaust pipes around before. I was thinkin maybe he can weld on the reducers to the tails and clamp the other end to the muff's. I really need these tails on in order to pass NJ state inspection. Not to mention I miss the tails stickin out back.

• Sponsors (?)

They're not SS tips. They're aluminized but I rubbed some Wenol on the tips to make them shiney. Anyways I think that's what I'm gonna do. Take it to an exhaust shop to bend it. Shouldn't cost much anyways. Now what I gotta do is find a place like Meineke or Midas or something. Thanks Foot.

I had the same problem I couldnt get the drivers side tail pipe over the axel(no access to a lift) so I said "the hell with it and put on dumps!" I'll get sick of them after a while and then I will be forced to go to a muffler shop and have it done right!

shawnster said:
I had the same problem I couldnt get the drivers side tail pipe over the axel(no access to a lift) so I said "the hell with it and put on dumps!" I'll get sick of them after a while and then I will be forced to go to a muffler shop and have it done right!

if you have a problem getting the tail pipe over the rear axle to connect to the muffler then take your hand jack and put it under the jacking rail on the side that's being a PIA. gives that side of the car a little more room to wiggle that tail pipe up and over the axle. friend had the same problem. :nice: