Can i re-use a lower manifold gasket?

davins130

May 21, 2004
i just replaced my lower manifold gaskets about 100 miles ago and the backside rtv seal i made didnt hold...i have it all torn down and the gaskets still look brand new, im wondering if they can be re-used or if they get crushed the first time you tighten them down.

• Sponsors (?)

i have new ones, just wondering if it would be a bad idea to reuse the old ones since they are stuck to the heads w/ a bit of rtv....ohh well a little more work will probly save me from doing this a 3rd time..thakns

If they're not damaged, or pinched go ahead and reuse them. The silicone rubber is pretty good for retaining it's shape. If you're at all worried, just wipe a thin finger full of black RTV around each port and never look back. I've reused silicone gaskets dozens of times and as long as they've passed my visual inspection, they've been good to go.

If they are not torn or have not been shifted, you could use them technically. I'd personally pay the $20 bucks, unless your on a tight money shift right now.

Yea there supposed to be crush gaskets...I too wouldent risk it. BTW I used the cork crap that came w/ the fel-pro set and the same thing happend to me. So I know how you feel. THe cork squeezed out upon torquing down the lower manifold so the car hadent even run yet when I noticed the gasket had popped out. I still went and got another set of gaksets.:( :nonono:

Yea there supposed to be crush gaskets...I too wouldent risk it. BTW I used the cork crap that came w/ the fel-pro set and the same thing happend to me. So I know how you feel. THe cork squeezed out upon torquing down the lower manifold so the car hadent even run yet when I noticed the gasket had popped out. I still went and got another set of gaksets.:( :nonono:

The cork gaskets are quite capable of sealing with no probs at all :)

The issue with them is how to keep them in perfect alignment with
the China Wall until you get the manifold in place.

The trick to using them is to glue them down to the China Wall.

I use 3M weatherstripping adhesive and of course a dab of rtv in each corner.

Been doing it that way for years on more intake projects than I can
remember with no leaks ... Never any problem of any kind ;)

Grady

ive never used the corkey's...Just keep blowing the rtv seal out with a decent amount of crancase pressure that i cannot seem to rid myself of. Hopefully this is the last time

my felpro gaskets came with silicone instead of cork gaskets for the chinawall.. 75 miles so far and no leaking that I have noticed...

Yeah Chris

I did use those once when I was hosing around with self ported
e7's/oem intake on my little GT.

I noticed they were kinda slicky feeling and very soft.

I had concerns for them slipping under pressure or being cut.

I put them on dry with a dab of rtv in each corner and never had a prob
but
I was in the process of trying various things so they were in place
for no more than six months and maybe not that long.

Sorry for the lack of details but that was back in like 98 or 99 so I just
can't remember it all.

I can say since then ... I've not seen anything come with Felpro's
but the cork end gaskets.

Grady

Yeah Chris

I did use those once when I was hosing around with self ported
e7's/oem intake on my little GT.

I noticed they were kinda slicky feeling and very soft.

I had concerns for them slipping under pressure or being cut.

I put them on dry with a dab of rtv in each corner and never had a prob
but
I was in the process of trying various things so they were in place
for no more than six months and maybe not that long.

Sorry for the lack of details but that was back in like 98 or 99 so I just
can't remember it all.

I can say since then ... I've not seen anything come with Felpro's
but the cork end gaskets, those come with the cork ends as stated.

Grady
the ones that come with the rubber end pieces are the stock replacements and not the larger port felpro 1250 gaskets.