can i run car without thermostat?

• Sponsors (?)

I would not run w/o a stat. It can lead to a prolonged run to reach operating temps and then overheating once temps start to creep up.

But for a couple days, you could try it.

You gotta do what you gotta do.

Good luck.

rudeone707 said:
so pretty much i would have a worse overheating problem than i do now if i ran without one.
With the heat wave that has had the US sweating it's butt off I would say yes. If you don't drive the car for long periods of time you could get away with it. Just remember once the h2o gets hot it will only get hotter, the fan has no way of cooling water that doesn't sit still. .02

I would say no. One of the things a thermostat does is slow down the flow. Your coolant NEEDS to stay in the radiator long enough to transfer some heat, and needs to stay in the engine long enought to absorb some heat. No thermostat allows unimpeded flow, and can actually cause a car to overheat.
Look on Summit and JEG's, and you'll see flow restrictors for people running no thermostat....Moroso P/N...MOR-63440

ever since the mustang was made/invented it has had problems with overheating, my mom had a 70 mustang.. and the engine overheated [at 244,000 miles may i add :)] and it blew up. I suggest you wait for a new tstat cuz' they're only like 20 bucks and easy to install. Plus, with the computers our cars have [especially the 94-95] they don't have the best computers and ya never wanna **** that unit up.

I wouldn't do it. If you run your car not at temp then all of you bearing clearances will be slightly off, your oil will run thicker, etc...

I don't think it is worth it. If you have to do it jsut to go get one and then drive home to install it that is all I would reccomend.

FORCED2DV8 said:
Cut the center of your thermostat out with a pair of tin snips, put the ring back in.
This will work just fine until you get another one, If it still is over heating you may want to look at water pump or fans.

what he said, ive been running my built camaro like that for a while, it actually runs cooler without one(2 1" core aluminum rad), although its not my daily driver, i run a 180* in the stang, for a cheap thing like a tstat theres no reason not to.
Russell

Im running a 160* t-stat in mine, could the be causing it to overheat? It's fine while driving on the highway, but if it sits for a while the temps will start to creep up, even with the fan on high.

Low-5.0 said:
Im running a 160* t-stat in mine, could the be causing it to overheat? It's fine while driving on the highway, but if it sits for a while the temps will start to creep up, even with the fan on high.

I would say no.

If it is really hot outside, a 160 just opens sooner than a 180 and when you get to a normal operation under those hot conditions either one of the two is gonna be wide open anyway.

I agree with the others about even though the stat is is wide open, it is offering some restriction to the coolant flow.

Later
Grady