can i still use this??

5literstang

Apr 15, 2003
Clark, NJ
my steeda cable stretched so i put a new stock cable in, but it grabs way too low, i wanna adjsut it so it will grab a little higher, i have the steeda quardrent in there still, would i be able to put the firewall adjuster on? or is there anyway i can adjsut it? thanks! its for my 94 GT

• Sponsors (?)

im in the middle if doin it right now in my garage...but how to i get it to work? do i have to take that one part where it bolts to the firewall off the stock cable? if so how do i get it off without breaking anything? thanks guys!

You undo the cable from the quadrant and unsecure the cable from the firewall (if applicable). Then snake the cable out through the firewall (so it's in the engine compartment).

Then remove the rubber grommet on the cable. The FWA will now occupy the spot where the grommet was. Turn the FWA CW all the way (making the FWA 'short', so you have max slack).
Note that some FWA's have a separate sleeve for 94-95 cables IIRC. You will also have probably pre-drilled a hole for the FWA (into the firewall).

Good luck.

ok thanks, but i cant get the plastic peice off, do i just break it off?

This is to remove the rubber grommet on the cable? There are a few little plastic tangs you remove when trying to remove the grommet. Just pry or cut those off (I cant remember but I think I used a pair of dykes). Then the grommet comes off and the FWA goes on.

Everyone needs a pair of dykes in his (or her) toolbox. They're too useful to not have around. :D
Sometimes I just take out my dykes and set them on my lap. Or I oil them up and play with them to be sure they will perform at their best.

:eek:

Dykes (I've seen it Dikes too) are diagonal wire cutters. It's actually a proper slang term for the tool.