Can I swap this 4.6 into my Mustang?

theman1990

Aug 16, 2004
I have found several purported 260 horse romeo engines for Ford EXPLORERS for sale (2004 models). I was wondering if the swap is direct to put one into a 1996 GT? The sellers claim that the engines are identical, but only with an aluminum block. Comes complete with intake and fuel rails etc.

Anyone with ANY knowlege and the pro's and con's of this would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

theman1990 said:
I have found several purported 260 horse romeo engines for Ford Rangers for sale (2004 models). I was wondering if the swap is direct to put one into a 1996 GT? The sellers claim that the engines are identical, but only with an aluminum block. Comes complete with intake and fuel rails etc.

Anyone with ANY knowlege and the pro's and con's of this would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

I have been seeing these too, I think it is for the explorer not ranger though. Yes that would be a direct swap. no real good reason to do it other than for 2,000 dollars it's a doit yourself job that would give you PI heads and a lighter block + fresh internals. not a bad idea for a 96'.
Although I have not been able to figure out why they are that cheap. :shrug:

i may be wrong, but i think only the Explorer 2V's have aluminum blocks. so i bet it's actually an Explorer V8. an Explorer V8 would make sense since an Explorer is basically a Ranger turned SUV.

got pics of these engines?

DBMSTNG said:
i may be wrong, but i think only the Explorer 2V's have aluminum blocks. so i bet it's actually an Explorer V8. an Explorer V8 would make sense since an Explorer is basically a Ranger turned SUV.

got pics of these engines?

I checked the Ford truck web site, seems the Ranger only comes with the 4L V6
Here are the specs for the 4.6L in the Explorer:

Engine Specifications
Engine Type 4.0L V-6 SOHC 4.6L SOHC 16V V-8
Engine Electronics EEC-V Electronic Engine Controls with Integrated EDIS EEC-V Electronic Engine Controls with Integrated EDIS
Displacement 4.0L (245 CID) 4.6L (281 CID)
Horsepower (SAE net @ rpm) 210 @ 5100 239 @ 4750
Torque (lb.-ft. @ rpm) 254 @ 3700 282 @ 4000
Compression Ratio 9.7:1 9.4:1
Bore and Stroke (in.) 3.95 x 3.32 3.55 x 3.54
Main Bearings 4 5
Valve Lifters Hydraulic Lash Adjuster with Roller Follower Hydraulic Lash Adjuster with Roller Follower
Fuel Delivery Sequential Multi-port Electronic Fuel Injection Sequential Multi-port Electronic Fuel Injection
Recommended Fuel Regular Unleaded/E85 Regular Unleaded
Exhaust NA NA
Fuel Economy EPA Est. mpg: 15 City/21 HWY EPA Est. mpg: 15 City/19 HWY
Transmission Type 5-speed Automatic O/D 5-speed Automatic O/D
Engine block material NA NA
Cylinder head material NA NA

CanadaStang said:
I checked the Ford truck web site, seems the Ranger only comes with the 4L V6
Here are the specs for the 4.6L in the Explorer:

Engine Specifications
Engine Type 4.0L V-6 SOHC 4.6L SOHC 16V V-8
Engine Electronics EEC-V Electronic Engine Controls with Integrated EDIS EEC-V Electronic Engine Controls with Integrated EDIS
Displacement 4.0L (245 CID) 4.6L (281 CID)
Horsepower (SAE net @ rpm) 210 @ 5100 239 @ 4750
Torque (lb.-ft. @ rpm) 254 @ 3700 282 @ 4000
Compression Ratio 9.7:1 9.4:1
Bore and Stroke (in.) 3.95 x 3.32 3.55 x 3.54
Main Bearings 4 5
Valve Lifters Hydraulic Lash Adjuster with Roller Follower Hydraulic Lash Adjuster with Roller Follower
Fuel Delivery Sequential Multi-port Electronic Fuel Injection Sequential Multi-port Electronic Fuel Injection
Recommended Fuel Regular Unleaded/E85 Regular Unleaded
Exhaust NA NA
Fuel Economy EPA Est. mpg: 15 City/21 HWY EPA Est. mpg: 15 City/19 HWY
Transmission Type 5-speed Automatic O/D 5-speed Automatic O/D
Engine block material NA NA
Cylinder head material NA NA

and how does that relate to the topic? we aren't talking about the Ranger V6 here. were talking about a 4.6L that a company is selling for people to drop into their Rangers and whether or not they are Mustang 4.6L's.

DBMSTNG said:
and how does that relate to the topic? we aren't talking about the Ranger V6 here. were talking about a 4.6L that a company is selling for people to drop into their Rangers and whether or not they are Mustang 4.6L's.

:nonono: Maybe you should reread the question, he was wondering if it would fit in his Mustang. You had thought it was out of the Explorer, and I'm inclined to agree with you, but they are not 260hp.[as the specs show].

CanadaStang said:
:nonono: Maybe you should reread the question, he was wondering if it would fit in his Mustang. You had thought it was out of the Explorer, and I'm inclined to agree with you, but they are not 260hp.[as the specs show].

i did freakin read it! he says it's for and Explorer and is the same as a GT engine. sounds a hell of alot like a engine swap for an Explorer using the GT engine. but the problem i was pointing out was the contridiction between it supposedly being the same as a GT engine and it having an aluminum block. understand? and that's why i asked if he had pics. the Explorer has a different intake manifold than the Mustang. that would solve the question of whether or not it is a GT engine.

:nonono:

DBMSTNG said:
i did freakin read it! he says it's for and Explorer and is the same as a GT engine. sounds a hell of alot like a engine swap for an Explorer using the GT engine. but the problem i was pointing out was the contridiction between it supposedly being the same as a GT engine and it having an aluminum block. understand? and that's why i asked if he had pics. the Explorer has a different intake manifold than the Mustang. that would solve the question of whether or not it is a GT engine.

:nonono:
Actually, he said he thought it was a drop in for the Ranger or Explorer,which he later edited to read just Explorer,[it would not be a drop in for the Ranger,
because the Ranger only comes with a V6, and it would take a lot of playing around to get it to work, hence my Ranger comment], and he was wondering if it would be a dropin for his 96' GT.He also said the seller claimed it was the same as the GT engine.
I was agreeing with what you pointed out, and posted the Explorer specs, showing the lower hp ratings, to further confirm what you had stated. Understand?
Anyway, if I remember correctly,I have seen that motor on ebay,[just checked again, but coudn't find it] and it had the Explorer intake on it, the seller said that it could be used in the Mustang if the intake was changed. So, to answer the gentlemans question, yes it could be put in your Stang, but you would need to switch everything on your intake over to the new engine,that is, if the intake manifold itself, is the same[do a search]. It may not have the same hp as the GT engine, but I think if you swapped out the cams it might. :shrug: Plus it would be lighter. Let us know if you decide to try it.