can I use an aode tranny from a 90 GT in a 64?

• Sponsors (?)

The AODE is electronically controlled and needs an ECU.

I have heard of people hooking up the factory ECU only to controll the transmission. You can also buy aftermarket transmission controllers.

Much easier to swap in a regular AOD.b

check how many wires the trans has running to it... if it has more than 4 on a plug right over the shift quad, its an aode. the aod i used was from a 90 town car.... the swap involved tailshaft housing, outputshaft, (1" longer in a town car) driveshaft (needs to be shortened 1")crossmember, neutral safety and backup lights rewired (both go to one plug on trans) shifter rod reworked (i used a chunk of 5/16 rod threaded for heim joints) exhaust will most likely need rerouted (trans pan is wider) kickdown linkage (if you can find the cable setup, use that, i think it is easier to work with)most likely you will need a compensating arm for the carb.(the aod kickdown wont work properly, and you will smoke the trans if you try to hook it directly to the throttle arm) even though my trans was 1" longer than the one you will be using, you will still need to have the driveshaft cut, i changed the tailshaft so my speedometer would read properly. there may be a few other things ive over looked, but this is the majority of the work you have in front of you.