Can I use the green-red wire from the voltage regulator as 12 volt source?

BaLleRz68

Founding Member
Oct 9, 2001
I just installed my 3G alternator and removed the voltage regulator. I cut the green-red strip wire that goes to the ignition and was wondering if I can use that wire as a 12 volt source for my electric fan? How about the brown wire that goes to the ignition on the starter solenoid. Can I use that? Any thoughts are appreciated. here is a diagrams for reference. Thanks.

http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/~djhamma/wiring/1967/67ignit1.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I've used the red/grn wire off the voltage regulater to run the hot wire on a Pertronix ign conversion for the distributer, or the electric choke on a Holly carb. Great switched 12v source, but that wire is not heavy enough to run any high current devices like a fan. You could use it to run a relay that runs the fan, but I don't think that was what you were after. A fan would overload this circuit very quickly I would think.

Oh, the brown wire runs off the ballest resister wire from the ign switch. So it's current limited. That why its a bad choice for the electric choke and the Pertronix. I have used it but not recomended and i don't like splicing at the solinoid. Always looks goofy no matter how you splice it but thats just me.