Can my computer run this motor?

UtahBullitt

Dec 6, 2001
SLC Utah
Hey Folks,
This is an engine that I had built for my 69 Bronco. Here is the run down. 351 Windsor, stock bottom end except hyper 9.5 pistons, trick flow heads with 2.02 and 1.6 valves, Trick flow 5.8 intake with 1" pheno spacer, it is the intake designed for the 1,500 to 5k range not the high rpm. 70MM throttle body and egr, 73MM C&L mass air, 24 # FMS injectors, stock 5.0 fuel rails with an aeromotive adjustable pressure regulator. I put a Accell 5.8 TFI dizzy on it, with the TFI module for the 5.0 computer. My cam specs are 112 degrees seperation 215 duration at 50, .530 lift on intake and exhaust. I am running long tube headers with the O2 sensors in the collectors. My computer is an A9L and it is all wired in through a FMS harness from 92 Stang. All this stuff is brand new except the computer, which was running my stock 5.0 perfectly before I pulled it. The problem, I had to remark my balancer for TDC, did this by finding TDC on the compression stroke on #1 and remarking the balancer with timing tape. I set the initial timing with the spout pulled at 12 BTDC. When I put the spout back in the computer advances it very far and it starts backfiring and running terrible. I don't think this combo should give an A9L much difficulty? I can get it running good by putting the spout in and adjusting the timing to where it smooths out by ear, which is around 30 degrees, but then it has trouble starting, but once going it runs great. My fuel pressure is at 42 with the motor off and 38 at idle, which is right where I think it should be. Any ideas Help. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Hard starting means you have the timing advanced too far if I'm not mistaken, but if the car runs well at that point and doesn't give you any detonation, you don't really have too much of a problem. Have you tried just retarding the timing a little bit to perhaps find a good compromise between drivablity and easy starting?

TheFleshRocket said:
Hard starting means you have the timing advanced too far if I'm not mistaken, but if the car runs well at that point and doesn't give you any detonation, you don't really have too much of a problem. Have you tried just retarding the timing a little bit to perhaps find a good compromise between drivablity and easy starting?

Yes, I have played with it and tried to retard it to find a good compromise, but it still seems like the computer is advancing it to far. I just wanted to rule out with my motor combo that the A9L wouldn't have any problems with it before I moved on to other things.

rdksek844 said:
did you ever find out what it was? Im curious because i was thinking of a 351 also.
Not yet, it is a little cold here in Utah so it's kind of hard to talk myself into going out and working on it. I am leaning towards my cam combo being a little hard for my computer to handle. I have talked to some folks who told me the EEC IV has a hard time with lobe seperation under 114 and mine 112. I may end up investing in an aftermarket computer programer to remap my computer. I think my computer is not happy with the info it's getting and is kind of whacking out when it comes to the timing.