can you get tinted glass instead of a stick on film?

rockin_rick

Oct 9, 2003
I like how tinted windows look, but HATE the look of film. ESPECIALLY how the film looks around the rear quarter windows with the small dots that border the edge of the window. Same for the rear window. It looks like there is a untinted line.

Anyway.... I was wondering if you could get tinted glass. What comes to mind is the tinted glass on Dodge vehicles, like the caravan. It just looks so much nicer in the long run. Can you get that anywhere? Specially made? (Bet it would be pricy, though!)

Rick

• Sponsors (?)

Yep, I think it is referred to as 'privacy glass' when it is not a secondarily applied plastic film.

You should be able to get that kind of glass in the aftermarket though. Or just use flat black spray paint. :rlaugh:

a lot of shops sand off the "dot matrix" stuff so no, or very little line shows.. and on my front windows you can't even see a line of film with the door open, they did a real good job

Kevin R. said:
Not all tinted glass turns out looking bad.

You just need to find a reputable shop in your area. My tint looks great.

Yeah, I did mine and I can't even see the edges of the tint. I guess you just have to care about the car you are working on...
Scott

Thanks for the info, guys. This is just something that I've been wondering for a long time now. PPG huh, can't get much better than that.... Wonder how much it costs?

Perhaps I should check into a quality installer. Maybe they can do a better job than all the purple, bubbling, nastyness that I commonly see...

But something HAS to be done about the 'dot matrix' issue.... hate that... I wonder how much the cost of sanding the dots off and installing good film compares to new privacy glass?

Rick

rockin_rick said:
Thanks for the info, guys. This is just something that I've been wondering for a long time now. PPG huh, can't get much better than that.... Wonder how much it costs?

Perhaps I should check into a quality installer. Maybe they can do a better job than all the purple, bubbling, nastyness that I commonly see...

But something HAS to be done about the 'dot matrix' issue.... hate that... I wonder how much the cost of sanding the dots off and installing good film compares to new privacy glass?

Rick

You don't neccesarily have to sand the dot matrix pattern off, the guy down here can just put it on over the pattern absolutely flawlessly. I'm sure someone up there can do it as well.