Can you make a 347 stroker auto into a 5speed

police 5.0

Apr 5, 2005
Hey guys, I need you help again.

My 1992 Notch has a 347 stroker that was ballanced with the fly wheel for an automatic transmission. I want to make my mustang a standard. Doing so, will that mess up my crank ballance? Will I have to get it all redone, or can I just swap it? Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

u can change to a flywheel for a stick that has the 347 balance. u will need to install a tranny bearning in the crank for the stick tranny. just need to make sure u get the right balance should be a 28 oz but may be a 0 :shrug:

Is it the stock flexplate? The 5.0L HO came with a 50oz balance (IIRC), so if it's the stock balance, or stock flexplate, just swap it with a 50oz flywheel. The stock flywheel was 157 tooth/50oz, so if it's the same balance as stock go with that. Who built the motor? You can always ask whoever built it what they put in there. Or, you can pull the flexplate and post it up here for identification.

Also, for the swap, don't forget the pilot bearing (goes in the crankshaft in the middle of the bolt circle), dowel pins, and the bellhousing spacer plate. Also, the AOD transmission bolts (to the blot, it might just be the top 2) are different lengths than the 5 speed ones. The cross member is different also. Either get a 5 speed cross member, or grind down the tack welds where the cross member bushing housing meets the cross member so it can slide on the bushings.

I doubt it's a 50oz flexplate on a 347.its probably 28 or zero. Easiest way to tell, take a look at the harmonic balancer. If it's in fairly good shape with identifable markings you should be able to look up the part #. Summit or jegs etc. have everything you need.do yourself a favor and spring for a SFI one if you plan on doing any racing.

It's called a pilot bearing and it goes in at the rear of the crank.they're worth like 10 bucks.you'll also need a clutch kit including pressure plate and clutch bolts with dowels,cable,quadrant,5 speed pedals and shifter. Get youself a firewall adjuster and whatever bellousing for the tranny you are going with.

I had the motor built by a guy that is an avid racer himself ( he owns a local parts shop along with a machine shop) . I bought the kit from Coast High Performance and he did the rest. My vehicle started as a 1992 SSP Notch with a stock 5.0 and automatic transmission. I know I reused the stock harmonic ballancer and the stock flywheel. So I am assuming he ballanced the crank with the ballancer I had and the flywheel. It runs smooth except for the idle due to the cam. I just want a 5 speed.

I ya'lls opinion, would I be better of finding a donor car so that I could take the pedals, tranny and other parts I need to convert it or... buy it from like AMP motorsports that I see in the 5.0 Mustang magizine?

Thanks for the input so far guys.