Can you pull the steering colume out of the steering box?

Bosscat

Founding Member
Sep 30, 1999
England
It a 66 coupe, that I am tearing down. Everything is off (bolts) from inside the cab, but it looks like there is something that need to be loosened on the steering box itself, so I can the shaft out of the box.

Its been years since I did my 70 Eliminator, so I am a bit rusty on the mechanics :) I cannot find my manuals.

Cheers,
Tony

• Sponsors (?)

No, you have to unbolt the box from the frame rail and pull it out of the engine bay. I've never done it with the engine in before, but you may be able to remove the front seat to tilt it down and sneak it past the exhaust out the hood opening. The column sleeve should slide off unrestricted, but it may stick at the firewall gasket and resist a little.

EDIT: Your 70 Eliminator should have had a collapsable column with a rag joint or linkage of some sort.

Yeah I think they didn't started putting to pieces in mustangs until late 67, early 68...if I remember correctly. While it's out I would replace it with a two piece to get that spear from out in front of you....I need to do the same thing on my 65.