Can't beat LT1

5500rpms is where i would shift personally. look at what other people say, then look at their E.T.s and make your decision about who's advice you take. It already sounds like you are shifting at redline to me.

• Sponsors (?)

dsg_gt2004 said:
i just know that redlining isnt gonna help...it will slow u down...but maybe it will help him to redline

i went to 1/4 mile track and redlined and ran a crap time of 14.6 with my 1/8 being a 9.6

i went to a 1/8 mile track and shifted around 5300 and got a 9.1 ....

just tryin to say what helped me may help him...
where your 60' times identical and where the conditions the same? Also, it was a COMPLETELY different track, hard to compare.

GinoGT said:
You answered your own question. The timeslips are in the driver, not the car.
I guess so, unless theres something thats happened since then, because theres atleast a 10,000 mile gap between then and now. I was just curious if there could be something mechanically wrong.

Matto said:
I guess so, unless theres something thats happened since then, because theres atleast a 10,000 mile gap between then and now. I was just curious if there could be something mechanically wrong.

Doesn't sound like anything is mechanically wrong with your car. You got to race a little farther than 3500 rpms in second to half way in third???!!!! Go from a dig where your 4.10's are gonna give you a big advantage over that pig. Your going from a roll and his car makes a little more power than you which probably makes up for the weight difference.

post 123489724 on lt1 vs 99+ sohc

They are neck and neck stock for stock. I took one on the freeway from a 60 roll by about a car length to 125 mph. If he is raping you its cause he has modded his car or done weight reduction...thats the only thing it could be.

kirkyg

kirkyg said:
post 123489724 on lt1 vs 99+ sohc

They are neck and neck stock for stock. I took one on the freeway from a 60 roll by about a car length to 125 mph. If he is raping you its cause he has modded his car or done weight reduction...thats the only thing it could be.

kirkyg
I don't believe I said he was raping me, if I did then sorry to confuse. Problem is, we're neck and neck, and I'm not stock. I couldn't get ahold of him today so we could run him, but I'm sure I'll be able to sometime during the week... I really should be able to whoop his ass, we'll see though.

again if he is neck and neck with you and drivers are equal his car is more modified then you think it is or he is admitting too.

Otherwise i guess ti could possibly be low fuel vs your full tank and other weight additions to your car? I dont see what else it could be.

kirkyg

kirkyg said:
again if he is neck and neck with you and drivers are equal his car is more modified then you think it is or he is admitting too.

Otherwise i guess ti could possibly be low fuel vs your full tank and other weight additions to your car? I dont see what else it could be.

kirkyg
I don't either, could of been a bad race. Thats why I want to race from a stop. And from what I know his car is stock, or else the guy before him did something and he doesn't know about it, cause my friend doesnt get into performance stuff plus he cant afford to put gas in it. He told me the other day he was gonna make it an LT4 for like 200 bucks... dunno what thats all bout.

it just hit me. I have 4.10s too. And sometimes, during a roll race, our cars hit an RPM range that u just shouldn't race from. I've heard people having similar problems too. I think its your gears. I think you need to find what RPMs ur car is best at racing from, because i've noticed that sometimes when i pass people on the highway, i BARELY touch the gas, and im WAY past them, and othertimes i've noticed that i've tried the same thing, and pass someone, and it takes me a second or two to pass him. So i think the RPM range with the 4.10s is ur problem. I dont know. Just guessing, and informing you from what i've heard on here and experienced myself with the 4.10s.

Although, with your mods, i'd imagine you would be raping him. And i'd even venture to say you might be able to do better than 13.7's. I guess not though :shrug:

UDTBadkarma said:
it just hit me. I have 4.10s too. And sometimes, during a roll race, our cars hit an RPM range that u just shouldn't race from. I've heard people having similar problems too. I think its your gears. I think you need to find what RPMs ur car is best at racing from, because i've noticed that sometimes when i pass people on the highway, i BARELY touch the gas, and im WAY past them, and othertimes i've noticed that i've tried the same thing, and pass someone, and it takes me a second or two to pass him. So i think the RPM range with the 4.10s is ur problem. I dont know. Just guessing, and informing you from what i've heard on here and experienced myself with the 4.10s.

Although, with your mods, i'd imagine you would be raping him. And i'd even venture to say you might be able to do better than 13.7's. I guess not though :shrug:
Yea, thats basically with any car. Its your powerband, which shifts a bit with 4.10 gears. Its like trying to race from a 30mph roll in a Stock Geared Gt...HORRIBLE!!! Race from a good 45mph roll. Also, those 4.10's and your mods will destroy his LT1 from a dig.

Lt1's got some grunt down low...but if you slip the clutch right you'll have him everytime...consistently...

Your car should walk him...it is either your not shifting quick enough or he has got a few bolt-ons???

By the way shift at 57-5800...ideally on these 4.6's...it is best to shift 300-400 rpm higher than where you power starts dropping off...

Also where did you buy the car from...I see your from Arkansas and there isn't even a quarter mile track in Arkansas...Centerville (where I race) is only a 1000ft...

Good Luck

HoustonGT said:
Yea, thats basically with any car. Its your powerband, which shifts a bit with 4.10 gears. Its like trying to race from a 30mph roll in a Stock Geared Gt...HORRIBLE!!! Race from a good 45mph roll. Also, those 4.10's and your mods will destroy his LT1 from a dig.

The powerband doesn't change. It's just that the 4.10's might put you out of the powerband in a certain gear than 3.27's will. Don't bother revving bolt-on 2V's up to the limiter. Cams (ported heads wouldn't hurt too), longtubes, and Bullitt intake is what you're looking at if you want to see a nice N/A powerband out of a 2V

GinoGT said:
The powerband doesn't change. It's just that the 4.10's might put you out of the powerband in a certain gear than 3.27's will. Don't bother revving bolt-on 2V's up to the limiter. Cams (ported heads wouldn't hurt too), longtubes, and Bullitt intake is what you're looking at if you want to see a nice N/A powerband out of a 2V
Yea, thats what i meant, thanks for clearin it up Gino