cant find my chiltons manual but what are the torque specs for the flywheel

• Sponsors (?)

Hopefully someone else will chime in here and give you wire colors. When I did mine I didn't write down which wires did what.

In case no one else jumps in and I don't get a chance to crawl under my car. Here's what I did to figure out the harness.

Disconnect the pigtail that goes from the harness to the auto tranny. Turn the ignition to on but do not start the engine. (duh) Crawl back under and check each contact in the plug for 12VDC with a volt meter. Probe one wire at a time using the chassis for ground. It's a 4 pin plug, 2 wires have 12VDC and 1 wire goes to the clutch safety switch and the last wire goes to the reverse lights. Once the power wires are found, you'll need to then find out which of the two remaining wires feeds the reverse lights. I used a paperclip as a jumper and had a friend stand at the back and watch for reverse lights. It doesn't matter which of the 12VDC wires you use. Once you've found the other half of your reverse light circuit, match them up to the wires on the pigtail you removed earlier. Cut the transmission end of the pigtail off, take the two wires associated with the reverse lights and crimp female bullet connectors onto the ends. They'll plug into the reverse light switch on the manual tranny. It doesn't matter which one goes where. While you've still got the pigtail in hand, take the other two wires in the pigtail, cut them relatively short, and connect them together with a good wire connector. Plug the pigtail into the harness connect the reverse light wires to the switch on the trans, and you're good to go. You've completed all of the wire surgery involved in a T5 swap.

If you've read this and are confused even more, give me a day or so to crawl under the car and give you wire colors. :)

IIRC some one said something about having to cut a section of the trans tunnel out to get the shifter to fit right?

About the starter...theres the power wire that goes to the starter and theres another wire with a gray connecter what do I do with that wire?

and when you let me know about the wire order theres 2 harneses ones shorter than the other let me know what wires from what harnes go to what.

and will taking off the stearing linkage and taking the collom out be enought to take the pedals out?

Why are you worried about the starter? You just unbolt it, swap the trans, and bolt the starter back on...don't change any wires.

Most of the other questions you have are self explainatory once you actually look at them.

You don't have to take the steering column clear out...you can if you want though. Will the pedals just fall out, no...they are a real bitch.

Stinger said:
Why are you worried about the starter? You just unbolt it, swap the trans, and bolt the starter back on...don't change any wires.

Most of the other questions you have are self explainatory once you actually look at them.

You don't have to take the steering column clear out...you can if you want though. Will the pedals just fall out, no...they are a real bitch.

Yeah, what he said! :D I took the driver's seat out and the steering column, but I'm a fat bastard and needed the room. :rlaugh:

Yes you will need to notch the front of the shifter opening to get it to fit. I snipped it about an inch or so towards the front on either side of the hole and just rolled the sheetmetal under and used a hammer and dolly to flatten it out. The metal isn't that thick and easy to work with.

EDIT: Stinger himself has a real good how-to write up on his site. I used it for quite a bit of information when I did mine. The only thing he didn't have (and I completely forgot about) was the need for pressure plate bolts.

Here's the link

thanks folks, yeah the pedals were a bitch but I took out the colum just cause, I left the seat in cause it was a bitch to put it in in the first place but I got the auto petals out now I just need to eather rip them out of the 84 or hit up a JY.

iam more than likley gonna hit up a jy.

but it shouldent be much of a problem I mean it was a pain in the ass but not as bad as I thought.

so just ignore that extra wire to the starter?

no idea its a lil gray plug that connects to the thing that pushes the thing out to turn the flywheel....

Damn I wish I had a pic cause I sound like a retard trying to explain it.

Its got ford stampted on it but my friends dad says that its a chevy starter cause the thing hanging on to it is a "silonoid(sp)" he says.

but how can a starter work with to silonoids? no idea but it wont work without that wire pluged to it.

Tell your friend's Dad to shut up and leave you alone while you work(In a nice way if possible) :) . Yes, GM is synonymous with solenoids mounted on the starter where Ford mounted them on the inner fenders. This is one of those exceptions to the rule. I think the logic behind it was to get away from the centrifugal starter engagement mechanism that Ford had always used in the past. Why? Dunno. Again, I don't know it for fact so take it with a grain of salt.

The starter wiring, configuration, color, position, function, and general personality will not change when swapping from an automatic to a manual. Other than the clutch safety switch under the dash, the only wiring that does change is directly related to the transmission. So, if it ain't plugged into the transmission, don't worry about it.