Cant keep oil in the motor...and will any 5.0 shortblock work in a 95?

Ok well I would like you guys to give me your opinion on this. I think I'm going to take the turbo off my 5.0. It makes 480rwhp and 507rwtq in 95 degree heat and the shortblock is a 133k mile stock one. Somewhere in the past year I believe I cracked a ring. Burning oil smoke BOILS out of the valve covers. It was coming out from under the lower intake but I resealed that so now it doesn't. But now there is burning oil coming somewhere from behind the motor. (valve cover gasket or something else) :shrug: . Its so bad out of the valve covers/breathers that driving smoke will come inside the car from the ashtray and behind the 5 speed cover. I think the motor has just had it and I pushed too much power through it. What do you guys think?

I was thinking about looking around the junkyards and seeing if I can find a kinda low miles 5.0 and just use the shortblock in my car for alittle while. I'm building a 351W to drop in but I won't have it ready for about a year I'd say. So I just need a motor that doesn't burn that much oil for a while. What years shortblock will work? Also are the pistons any different between the years? I don't want to have to change my camshaft because of piston to valve clearance. Although I could cut the pistons I supose. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

There is a difference in some 5.0's. You will need either a 84 up 5.0 mustang engine excluding the 86 because they had flattop pistons without valve reliefs, a 96-2001 explorer engine or mercury mountainier, or a lincoln mark VI. The 84-91 engines had forged pistons but most people say that stock block will crack before the pistons become a issue. I'm sure there are some other engines with roller blocks that will work but these are the ones I know will.

91-93 Thunderbird longblocks are stock 5.0, except they have the 93-95 Cobra cam. I have a 91 Thunderbird engine in my GT now. You'll need to use your stock accessories, of course.

Explorer long blocks work great the have gt40 or gt 40p heads and intakes. You need to swap the cam,timing cover, water pump, oil pan, oil pickup and different headers if you get the gt40P's. Usually you can find one from a wreck from a junk yard with low millage for around $400 to $600. the only problem with them is they have the hypereutectic pistons like all post 92's have

With your current engine have you tested the compression yet? You could have a bad head gasket leaking to the lifter valley

With your current engine have you tested the compression yet? You could have a bad head gasket leaking to the lifter valley

No I haven't but I've changed the head gaskets 3 times now. 1st time I had head bolts and the boost lifted the head right off the block and blew the snot out of the felpro gaskets. 2nd time I put studs and cometics on but the block wasn't decked so they didn't seal very long. Now I've got the stock type felpros on with head studs so I shouldn't have to worry about gaskets anymore. I'm almost positive its a ring/rings at this point.

I've got AFR heads, cam, intake, and headers I'm going to use so all I need is a shortblock. I'm swapping everything else over. I just need to know which years have the 95 pistons so my custom cam will not have the pistons coming in contact with my heads.

I think all the engines listed so far except the 86 mustang 5.0 have the same style pistons. The only difference is forged or hyper. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

There is a explorer at my local pull a part with a stock shortblock that could be had for 78 dollars. The heads and intake have already been pulled off of it.

yeah it wouldn't be workable for you but I was just trying to let you know what could be found. That was the second one I have found like that. The only thing is that you have to pull the engine yourself there.

Yes most places are like that here too. Pull A Part is the only place I know of you can get a complete engine for 125 but you have to pull it out yourself which is why it's so cheap. I think pull a part is all over the US so you might want to search and see if one is in your area.