Can't put my top down...

GrandmasterK

Founding Member
Aug 17, 2001
Madison, WI
About a week ago, my power convertable top quit working. When I press the button to go up or down, I just hear a single click coming from the back of the car. Any ideas what is going on or how to fix it??? Is this just a short or could it be something worse, like an issue with the top motor.

• Sponsors (?)

sounds like your top motor is out of prime. take the back seat out and youll see the pump there is a little black gromet on the silver side i always pull it to fill the pumpbut its kinda a bitch to get back in. i would bet you have a ram leaking thats why your pump is low. use some kind of hydrolic oil like jack oil.

I would probe the 'down relay' and note the values.

A top motor takes Type F ATF as I recall.

Here is a schematic of the vert top circuit, courtesy of TMoss and S+2B's.

Good luck.

Yeah it takes ATF. One thing that it could be also is that the brushes are worn out. I had mine doing the same thing and I tapped it a couple of times with a hammer and it works fine now. I need to pull it and put some new brushes in the motor.

Just an FYI the vert top motors are the same from 1965-1993. Might even go further back but I pulled the spare motor for my 65 and installed it in my 93 when I first got the 93. Same fittings and all.

I took a look and it does appear that the fluid is low. I had a cylinder for raising/lowering the top go bad and leak a bunch a few monthes back, chances are I wasn't patient enough in filling it back up... or it's leaking in other places too. I'm going to go get a haircut and pickup some ATF on the way back, then we'll see if things are better.