Cant stay running on a cold start untill you give it gas!

Jaswir

Mar 31, 2005
Orlando, FL
when its cold...

if i start it will idle for a second then die with out giving it any gas,
do it again and it will die, etc. etc... it would take prob 10 trys before it will idle with out it turning off...

now if i start it and hold the gas pedal to about 2,000rpms for about 4 seconds it will idle just fine after words with just one start...

so im thinking its the fuel pump? fuel filter was just changed with no change in starting!

then every once in awhile it will loose power when driving for about a second like its getting no fuel then run fine!

Also no check engine light on and no codes but smog etc.. but its been removed and caped.

best thing to do is put a fuel gauge on it?? or any other thoughts??

this is a 92 GT t5 stock motor

• Sponsors (?)

Clean and lube the iac. Make sure it's not sticking.

When your car is running stable, pull the plug out of the iac. Does the car stall? If so, your base idle is too low. You need to adjust idle so the car barely runs with the iac unplugged...thennreset the computer and let it relearn idle

Has the IAC actually been cleaned? The greatest IAC DC is during the initial seconds after a cold start. A IAC with some issues can struggle at that time but do alright after that initial period.

12 - idle speed control out of range
44 - air mangment system inoperative
94 - secondary air system inoperative

got that while the car was running..

just cleaned the iac motor with no change.. was pretty black inside tho! cleaned as best as i could

Did you let the cleaner marinate inside the IAC, flush, rinse and repeat several times?

Do you have a spare IAC?

You have to keep letting cleaner sit in it, dumping and repeating till the fluid starts coming out clear.

I use WD40 for the initial marinating because it doesn't evaporate quickly (and leave the crud behind), as brake and contact cleaners can. Once it's clean, then I rinse it several times with contact cleaner (your brake cleaner might be similar in composition).