Canton oil pan issues

352Ford2

Oct 12, 2005
Seattle,WA
I bought one of the canton T pans for my 302 (part number 15-640). According to canton I am supposed to use the factory pickup. This didn’t make sense to me at all, but I tried it. When I tried it was almost 2 inches off the bottom of the pan. Tried some other pickups and such, but finaly I tried the pickup for the road race pan (15-645) and that is about a .5 inch off the bottom of the pan, fixed. My issue is that both the pan I have and the road race pan are 7.5” deep and should need about the same drop in oil pump pickup.

The tech line at canton was completely useless, they offered no real help with the problem, everytime I called their response was “it should work with the stock one”

I am not trying to bash canton, but I am disappointed and I want everone to know so they can go check their oil pump pickup to oil pan clearances, before they lose an engine.

Any one else had this problem?

• Sponsors (?)

that sucks man,,, i had he same problem the other day, i built up a new 347 and bought a moroso 7qt oil pan, it said that the stock pick up would work, what it meant is that their pick up tube you have to buy from them would fit other stock components, you have to buy on specific for that pan, plus if you are using a girdle you have to grind the girdle too,

I built a 427 stroker and used a road race Canton pan. I bought the pan from the same place that built the short block and the p/u that came with it wasn't even close to fitting (didn't even look like a Canton unit). I called Canton and the sent me out a p/u for that pan, but it still didn't work.

After contacting Canton about it, they explained that since my short block had a main girdle (and wasnt a "regular" combination ie. 427 stroker) that wasn't made by Canton, that was probably the problem. I took some measurements and sent them the p/u back to be modified. It cost me around $30-40 IIRC, and it fit like a glove. The Canton tech was very helpful throughout the process.

I might be wrong, but isn't the T-pan THE road race pan? If so, they should've sent you the T-pan pick up to begin with. Glad it worked out in the end.

They have 2 t-pans an entry level one (that I have) and the road race T-pan.

it states explicitly in the catalog that the entry level pan uses a stock pickup and the RR pan uses their pickup.

http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/pans/road_race/ford_rear_sump.html

I don't have a main support, just their windage tray, which needed some massauging to get to fit the mains.

I am also using a factory replacement sealed power oil pump (no weird melling stuff)