Car and Driver Review- 05 Stang vs. 05 GTO

Discussion in '2005 - 2009 Specific Tech' started by 351CJ, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Jon Do

Jon Do New Member

"like I think Jon Do may have pointed out in a more understandable quote, when more of these babies come out, perhaps that will help with the price and/or availability of the mustang."

Yeah, that's a key point that I'm trying to make... Even though it may sound to some like I am bashing the Mustang, I realize that it is positioned to be an amazing performance value given a little time... I will admit that dollar for dollar, I would probably go with the GTO, but the simple fact is there's a large price descrepancy between the two cars. It might not be so noticable since the Mustang is still new and thus selling at MSRP--but at the end of the year, when rebates kick in, it will be.

2. the b

the b New Member

My roommate picked up an 04 GTO last night for $27k out the door. Funny how pricing a car what it's worth will help move cars off the lot so much better than a $5k markup.

3. Bob Cosby

Founding Member

Thanks. However, I think I'll go with Snorman and just consider you a busted troll.

4. stang-no-mus(t)

stang-no-mus(t) New Member

someone please admit that the mustang got beat!!!

5. JonJon

Founding Member

beat?
    I haven't driven either, I can't say which is better.

6. 426H

426H New Member

Since I belive you refer to me (among others) with regarding to this post I would like to say that I would NEVER EVER consider add some stupid looking bling bling shiny wheels to any of my cars. All my cars are 100% stock because I appreciate a good design and don't want to mess with it.

I'am sure the GTO is a great vehicle, but it looked a helluva lot better 38 years ago. And YES, I still think the 2005 GTO looks like a 1988 MAZDA.

7. JonJon

Founding Member

agreed.

8. TomServo92

TomServo92 New Member

The GTO won the performance battle but the Mustang won desirability war. I'm sorry that you have such a mental deficiency that you can't comprehend that the writers preferred the Mustang in spite of the GTO having better power but I think it's time you just suck it up and deal with it. Whining like a spoiled little brat on a Mustang forum isn't going to make it go away.

Speaking of going away....why don't you?

9. 351CJ

351CJ New Member

Ford started '05 production with 62% V6 and 38% GT. This is what the historical V6-V8 sales mix has been for the last 10 years.

However orders of the '05 have been heavily weighted to the GT. Ford has responded very rapidly. Starting this month, December Ford has been able to change the production mix to 40% V6 and 60% GT.

So your wish has come true, you'll be seen many more '05 GTs, very soon. :nice:

10. 351CJ

351CJ New Member

Good point. The GTO is not a bad car, it's just that it's styling does NOT do justice to the great GTOs of the past.

There really are only 2 things wrong with the GTO.

1. It's styling looks like a Chevy Caviler and any of 10 genaric Japanese sedans.

2. It has no trunk room.

Fixing both of those problems would sell FAR MORE GTOs than bumping its HP to 400 will.

11. Redzz2005GT

Redzz2005GT New Member

A personal friend has a 2004 GTO, sent it to Lingenfelter.
    Magna charger intercooled supercharger kit - silver powder coat finish
    Port & polished throttle body
    LPE cold air induction system
    Corsa Pro series touring exhaust system
    A few other mods not listed, 2,800 stall converter
    500 hp on dyno at Lingenfelter

If any of you guys know who I'm talking about, please don't tell him you saw this, he would probably kill me. Even though he is proud of his car, it is a nice car.

Pulled high 12's at 1/4 mile. It is an automatic, sad to say. He is a good guy and not to knock his car. I will say he raced guys on a track from a local Mustang club. (some illegal supercharged Cobras) and he won 12 out of 15 races. Haven't verified any of this, yet. I'm sure once my car arrives and I go to a few Mustang gatherings I'll meet these guys he is talking about.
    I am dying to get my GT and love the Mustang GT over the GTO everyday, but to spend that kind of money and only get that kind of performance makes me happy on my decision. So you GTO guys, keep your car, I'll keep mine. :D :nonono:

12. Sainted

Sainted New Member

The GTO is a special editon the 05 is a base model when a special edition mustang comes out then you can compare. Duh

13. pinski

Founding Member

If you mean in all the performance categories, nobody here will disagree with you. The 2005 GTO has a 400hp LS2 motor, whereas the 2005 Mustang GT has a 300hp motor with over a liter less displacement. The GTO should win. If it didn't win, y'all would be in some REAL trouble.

A better contender against the GTO would be the Mustang Cobra. They're both "exclusive" (one due to production numbers, one due to sales figures, you can figure that out) and both have similar horsepower ratings, instead of one having 33% more than the other :rolleyes: They're also both priced over $30k.

Come back and talk to us after the comparo between the 2007 Cobra and the 2007 GTO, until then, go away little troll.

BTW, if you **** about the "gotta-have-it" category, why don't you do a little objective polling - randomly go up to 100 people and ask which one they would rather have. Mustang would win by a landslide. Sales figures don't lie, now crawl back into that hole you came out of.

14. Redzz2005GT

Redzz2005GT New Member

A personal friend has a 2004 GTO, sent it to Lingenfelter.
    Magna charger intercooled supercharger kit - silver powder coat finish
    Port & polished throttle body
    LPE cold air induction system
    Corsa Pro series touring exhaust system
    A few other mods not listed, 2,800 stall converter
    500 hp on dyno at Lingenfelter

Newer model may come with 450hp stock, but the car weighs so much more than the Mustang. It needs the extra power to push the weight, but the GTO looks to much like every other car on the road. My friend did have to wait 8 months for his. It was made in Australia, for what its worth. Also the GTO is only a 2 valve/cylinder engine, not 3 for GTs.

If any of you guys know who I'm talking about, please don't tell him you saw this, he would probably kill me. Even though he is proud of his car, it is a nice car.

Pulled high 12's at 1/4 mile. It is an automatic, sad to say. He is a good guy and not to knock his car. I will say he raced guys on a track from a local Mustang club. (some illegal supercharged Cobras) and he won 12 out of 15 races. Haven't verified any of this, yet. I'm sure once my car arrives and I go to a few Mustang gatherings I'll meet these guys he is talking about and get to verify what happened.
    I am dying to get my GT and love the Mustang GT over the GTO everyday, but to spend that kind of money and only get that kind of performance makes me happy on my decision. So you GTO guys, keep your car, I'll keep mine. :D

15. i4power

Founding Member

Despite the poor english, this poster has wisdom far beyond the GTO whiners. I would hope that the GTO has a better interior and more power than the GT, because it costs about $8000 more!

No, the Mustang didn't get beat. Maybe in performance, but not in looks. Oh, and did the GTO beat the 'Stang in handling?

I think the "gotta have it" score should be separate, because it doesn't automatically raise the car's performance or value simply because it's a more desirable car.

16. Mach428

Mach428 New Member

Wow OMG the mustang got beat in a Magazine, I'm gonna sell my Car and buy a GTO right away cause I want to drive a Fat Ugly Cow :owned:

17. GTS_300_Coupe

GTS_300_Coupe New Member

Okay matey, find me a pic of this 1988 Mazda.
    If you can prove me wrong I will apologise and shut my mouth from now on.
    By the way, its gotta look ALOT similar.
    I've heard some people say the GTO looks like a lancer or a camry. Man those people are really the retards of society today.

18. mystein

Founding Member

I could care less what type of post you like to see. The Mustang outsold the F bodies, will far outsell the Holden Heap and will probably be around when the replacement F-bodies again fade from the theater due to low sales volumes yet again.

19. iviustang50h

iviustang50h New Member

No, I was not talking to you/about your post. And yes the topic was brought up, but to be discussed by Mustang owners and not GTO owners (unless they also own mustangs). This is a mustang forum and we can bash the GTO all we want if we don't like it, however it is not a GTO forum in which GTO owners come and bash the Mustang. If they want to do that, then go to your own forums.

20. iviustang50h

iviustang50h New Member

That's your opinion, and a bold one at that. If you think so, then take your beef up with C & D and not on a mustang forum in which most people are going to disagree with you.

The 2005 GTO has 400 HP right (if I am wrong please correct me because I am not possitive)? If this is true then even a retard would know that the GTO would be faster with a 100 horsepower advantage. Why are you stating the obvious? Slap another 100 HP onto the mustang, and then if the GTO still beats it you can talk your smack. Until then, you don't have the right.

Well guess what, it didn't! So deal with it or go cry to your mommy!
    :spot: