Car and Driver Review- 05 Stang vs. 05 GTO

• Sponsors (?)

351CJ said:
Again, the lane change maneuver where the Mustang smoked the GTO doesn't count/

I'd say that the Mustang's narrow, tall 235/55R-17 tires are crapyier than the GTO's WIDER, LOWER PROFILE 245/45-17 tires.

What size tires for the GTO???? Thats the 04 size...

351CJ said:
So the "lane change" which is a slalom where the Mustang ran almost 2 MPH faster doesn't count?

Some people need to take a refresher course on reading comprehension. The 05 GTO beat the 05 GT simply in acceleration, which it should. The GT handles better per the 2 mph gap in slalom numbers. The cars brake nearly equally;1 foot isn't a big difference. I can't wait to see what a GT can do with lower profile max performance tires. Braking should improve quite a bit as well as handling.

I own a Tyrol Blue '67 H.O. 4-speed Goat, I'm a long-standing and big-time GTO fan. As for the new GTO's, love the interior, great seats. The rest? Hard to get very emotional about. Down-under fit/finish and assembly is... um.... different, except for that nice interior of course. Heck, what do you guys care, I'm not buying either any too soon. My Lightning has plenty of good miles left in her, and with my earth-shattering approximate $900 bucks in mods :p runs toe-to-toe with even the new '05 GTO, and I can tow trailers and haul motorcycles in the back. It's just tight when I've got more than one passenger! ;) Beware the big bad truck, all you mortal car-drivers!!!!

GTP2GTO said:
Actually the GTO isnt required to use premium. My manual say 91 and higher recommended. How does 17/29 for GTO and 17/25 for mustang equal 2mpg worse? And premium fuel is only 10% higher in cost

I was using C&D's actual observed gas mileage, which was worse for the GTO, not the EPA #s which we all know don't mean squat.

351CJ said:
I was using C&D's actual observed gas mileage, which was worse for the GTO, not the EPA #s which we all know don't mean squat.

When you buy a V8, who cares about gas mileage :D Anyone that is looking at gas mileage in a GTO or Stang, should consider looking somewhere else.

max2000jp said:
When you buy a V8, who cares about gas mileage :D Anyone that is looking at gas mileage in a GTO or Stang, should consider looking somewhere else.

I agree completely....

I was under the impression the 05 GTO was going to have 18's. So if they tested with 17s the performance would actually have been hindered...

max2000jp said:

With the current prices of gas, I care. Alot of people are using these cars for daily drivers, and gas milage plays a key role in their purchase decision.

Mr.Guitar said:
With the current prices of gas, I care. Alot of people are using these cars for daily drivers, and gas milage plays a key role in their purchase decision.

Buy a Prius of hybrid vehicle, if you make your decisions that way. Mustang's aren't the type of cars for people who make decisions based on how many MPG's the vehicle gets.

max2000jp said:
Buy a Prius of hybrid vehicle, if you make your decisions that way. Mustang's aren't the type of cars for people who make decisions based on how many MPG's the vehicle gets.

I never said I make my decision based on gas milage only. You have to look at the total package: price, looks, performance, comfort, GAS MILAGE. If everyone who cared about gas milage had to drive a prius, then that car would make up 99% of the vehicles on the road.

When does the 2005 GTO go on sale?

I wanted to see what tires the '05 GTO is supposed to come with so I just checked the Pontiac web-site and there is only info. on the 04 GTO, not a single mention of the 2005 GTO. :shrug:

351CJ said:
Oh contraire, the gas guzzling moniker is quite accurate, especially as it pertains to manual cars.

The 2004 GTO manual is assessed a federal gas guzzer tax.
I'm sorry, but that is quite incorrect. Only the automatic gets the gas guzzler tax. But don't take my word for it, go to Pontiac's GTO page and build one with the manual and with the auto and see what happens.

"Contraire" or not.

Since the GTO requires 92 octane premium gas, it nees to get 10% better gas mileage just to have the same fuel cost as the Mustang.
Around town mileage is a wash, and probably a bit better with Mustang. On the highway, the EPA rating for the GTO is ~18% better than the 05 GT.

And premium gas takes more crude oil to manufacture.
I'll take your word for it.

In C&D's test the GTO got 2 MPG WORSE mileage than the Mustang.
I haven't seen the article, but ok. C&D likely didn't do a lot of highway driving, but then again, I don't know.

Factor in the premium gas cost and your gas costs for the GTO will be 25% higher than for a Mustang GT.
I'm sorry, I can't see how you figure those numbers, but if you wish to believe it, then ok.

Much like MSRP, when internet racing, the EPA numbers are about all there is to go by.

max2000jp said:
Believe it or not, it matters to me....not that it mattered enough to convince me to buy a Prius over my Cobra. :)

351CJ said:
When does the 2005 GTO go on sale?
January.

GTP2GTO said:
Nobody is debating the appeal to the masses. And it wasnt reversed. So... Go by the facts and it does win.
The slalom isn't important? Of course it is, and the GT easily won there as well as the skidpad. That said, you're looking at a glass half empty simply because you're biased. It wasn't reversed though... The Mustang won. :D

I really dont want to be like everyone else. Driving a car that you see at every stop light. The GTO is a niche car. However, I do prefer the styling of the 05 GT.
Many people feel the same. That hasn't prevented millions from buying Mustangs though.
But I dont buy based on looks. Performance first, comfort second, looks third.
Uh huh... So where's your ZO6? Performance 1st. :rolleyes:

Maybe thats why I like the GTO. I am in that niche.
The GTO niche, not the "performance 1st" niche. Hence, no ZO6 or the like.
If you could take the shell of the 05 GT and drop the interior and the drivetrain from the GTO into it, then that would be an incredible car.
The Mustang chassis would be needed as well, based on how it sticks better.
I believe though that is what we will be seeing with the 07 camaro. A sweet looking, powerful car that has broad appeal and still waxes the stang...
More of your guesses. It must suck to live in 2nd place. :bang: :rlaugh:

Honestly, the 2005 GTO is quicker and faster than the 2005 MustangGT. It also stops from 60mph slightly quicker(in the test). That's where it's performance advantage ends, and it's likeability should, but doesn't, take over. The interior is debateable really. The GTO fans prefer it, and visa versa. I laugh that so many GTO fans have determined a car most haven't even seen the interior of in person, is "cheesy plastic" or "weak" or "lower quality" though. Fact is, Ford interior quality has been ahead of GM's for years on end. The GTO is no exception really, made in Australia or not.

I'd like to say one more thing again...just for the record:

Bob Cosby said:
If I were in the market for another new car, and my choices were the 05 Mustang or the 05 GTO, I'd likely pick the Mustang based on my own preferences and biases.

:)

My ? is why are we trying to debate with these niche gto people. They have a web site! And I do not see many Mustang guys on their site trying to cause a fuss. And the fact remains that for bang for the buck, Mustang is still the Best!