car cover / paint question

fox-gt

Feb 28, 2004
TN
My car was painted last December. About a week ago I order a car cover for it. The car stays in the garage so outside weather is not an issue, but the cover keeps dust, bugs and potential scratches from moving stuff in and out of the garage.

My question is, will the car cover hurt the paint? Should I remove it periodically to let it get more air?

Also, it is humid here during the summer, would a dehumidifier be a good / bad idea to help prevent rust?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know about the dehumidifier but my svt contour is stored in my garage year round under a car cover since she was brand new for 7yrs now w/o any issues or rust my leather seats are fine alos with cracking they get regular leather treatment along with the door seal etc. which is the real key to long life. after a nice sunny day drive I use the califorina car brush on it and cover it unless it needs a wash, again no problems, my under carriage has no rust. I plan to do the same for the mustang.

I'm sure the dehumidifier wouldn't hurt bu I think the garage may need to be sealed up better. May need more advice on that.

Are car covers a worthwhile investment for cars being kept outside? I was about to buy a cover for my coupe that stays outside so I was worried about the moisture getting trapped in the cover and causing mildew.

Are car covers a worthwhile investment for cars being kept outside? I was about to buy a cover for my coupe that stays outside so I was worried about the moisture getting trapped in the cover and causing mildew.

The expensive ones that repel water and yet breathe are good for outside, but if its really windy watch out.

I have used an "outside" California Car Cover for inside storage for years. It cost 200 bucks, it fits perfect, and is still like new. It is softer than my terry towels and micro fiber towels on the inside, yet it is tough, durable, and water resistant, and breathable on the outside. I used it outside for 1 week once, and the wind didn't even touch it. It was worth every penny.

I bought a cheap one from Murrays for 50 bucks before that...now that cover beat up my car...the material of the cover......you could see that pattern in my car!!! The wind would also always blow it off.