Car dies in reverse!

94GTStang

Founding Member
Oct 26, 2001
Oklahoma City
I've got a 94GT auto with a built Art Carr transmission with a 2400 stall. It seems that when it gets to running temperature, it wants to stall out when put in reverse and sometimes in drive. If I don't goose the gas, it will just die.
Could this be an idle problem? Computer? What gives? :shrug: It's getting frustrating and annoying! Thanks in advance!

Eric

• Sponsors (?)

I had the same problem after doing the H/C/I swap......IAC had to be adjusted.....it only does it every so often when cold now...but it would stall when I came up to a light and stopped before.......or pulling into reverse too quick.....IAC would not keep up.....

I agree. I set the idle with the IAC disconnected, a hot motor and no accessories on. Have an assistant help with testing if needed (you want to set the idle for Drive or Reverse, since Park and Neutral keep the RPM a hundred or two highe).

Clear the KAM and drive it for a day and adjust as necessary. This way is cool because your idle wont go lower - you had the IAC disconnected while setting it. The IAC can only raise the idle as needed (otherwise, if it's set with the IAC connected, the puter can try to lower the IAC duty cycle to lower the RPM back down to stock).

Good luck.

thanks for all the help! It's been way too hot here for me to play with the car yet. Plus I'm heading out of town. But I will give the IAC a shot when I get back.
I've adjusted the idle before, but it was with it connected. Course, that was years ago when the TB was put on.

I agree. I set the idle with the IAC disconnected, a hot motor and no accessories on. Have an assistant help with testing if needed (you want to set the idle for Drive or Reverse, since Park and Neutral keep the RPM a hundred or two highe).

Clear the KAM and drive it for a day and adjust as necessary. This way is cool because your idle wont go lower - you had the IAC disconnected while setting it. The IAC can only raise the idle as needed (otherwise, if it's set with the IAC connected, the puter can try to lower the IAC duty cycle to lower the RPM back down to stock).

Good luck.

old post i know but i'm going to give this a shot.

this is what happened today.

havent driven the car in a few weeks because of really bad weather. things cleared up today so i decided to go for a small drive plus fill up for gas. this guy who lives by me pulls up in his convertible cobra 96-98 style, drives around my car and goes in/out of the station. i pay and get into my car. he pulls out doing a weak ass neutral drop. no smoke, just a little squealing of the tires. lets just say i left with a better one and stuck behind him.

i get home about to park it in the garage and the car wanted to stall a few times going from park, reverse, and drive. it also started to idle really low at a stop in Drive and almost wanted to stall. this has happened to me a few times since my FOX TB swap a few years ago. i've never cleaned out the IAC and its used with god knows how many miles are on it.

i'm going to give your instructions a try to see if this helps and i know it will.