Car dies when hot

Nitrous N20

Jun 3, 2003
Dallas Tx.
383 with holley 4 BBL carburetor. (My other car). I just finishe ddoing a bunch of work on the car and now it seems to be wanting to die when it is warmed up to 180 degrees or so. It is also running quite poorlly at idle. Any suggestions? Fuel delivery or ignition problem?

• Sponsors (?)

more info might help. how is it runnin poorly at either time?
did it run decent before you did the work? what did you do? are you good with dialing in carbs?
stuff like that. good luck.

Yes, the car ran fine before hand but had many electrical problems. I replaced the entire wiring harness with a painless one. Everything else works great now. Except that the idle is not so good and like I said, it dies after i gets warmed up and then tries to idle. I also replaced the distributor car, rotor, coil, and module (HEI). It still does the same thing. I ordered a new duel inlet fuel line with a inline filter to replace my old one that broke. I am taking the crummy stone filters out of the Holley. I hope that helps, they werent all that dirty when I checked them though.

Perhaps a setting on the carb that got out of adjustment during all of the other work?

how old is the carb? rebuilt recently? you could have a clogged jet, which will create all sorts of problems.....
just what comes to mind. good luck.

Yes, Im thinking I will try adjusting that once I get the new inlet lines installed. I removed the carb from the car and blew the whole thing out with some carb cleaner too. Top and Bottom.

Are the idle miture screws and the screw you mentioned the same thing?

Also Im not sure what series the carb is exactly. It is a 4BBL, dual inlet, vaccuum secondary, electric choke, 750 CFM carb though if that helps.

Thanks for the advice so far!

i dont much about domestic carbs, mostly bikes and euro cars' carbs. on the weber, there was a brass air jet between the primary and secondary. it would always clog up on one car.
im sure your is not at all like that, but a book on the car/carb. there should be some good info with pics out there (like in the how to rebuild a carb chapter). that is how i figured mine out anyways, and we can see that did a lot of good. LOL.

good luck.