Car Got Water In It !!

romcjr

Jan 27, 2013
Hey guys . I.m sure if you watch any news you're aware of the flooding we are having here in Houston , TX. . My 13 GT got just enough water in it to soak the carpet . I am waiting for water to recede a bit more so it gets out of my garage and I can get in there and do something .
My question is are they going to total my car because it got a little water in it . My wife had a Honda and they totaled her car cause they said the computer was on the floorboard .
Has anybody been through this ? I have put a lot of time and money into my car and I know insurance won't come close to what it's worth . I would appreciate any suggestions on how to proceed from here . Thanks for the help and hope none of you get this rain . (16.5 inches overnight)

• Sponsors (?)

You should be fine. The Smart Junction Box is high up in the kick panel on the passenger side. There are a few wires in the floor for stuff like power seats and such but, nothing mission-critical. Your big concern will be mould growth from the wet carpet but, if you get at it quick, you should be able to remediate. You should just take care of this yourself, probably, a shop vac is about the level of sophistcated technology you'll require You may need to pull some of the underlayment in the carpet, dry or replace it. The carpet itself should be ok just to be dried out, as it's all petrochemical.

You should be fine. The Smart Junction Box is high up in the kick panel on the passenger side. There are a few wires in the floor for stuff like power seats and such but, nothing mission-critical. Your big concern will be mould growth from the wet carpet but, if you get at it quick, you should be able to remediate. You should just take care of this yourself, probably, a shop vac is about the level of sophistcated technology you'll require You may need to pull some of the underlayment in the carpet, dry or replace it. The carpet itself should be ok just to be dried out, as it's all petrochemical.
Thanks for the reply . As you suggested , I vacuumed what I could get and have fans blowing on the carpet . Hopefully all will be well . Thanks again .

I HAVE been through this and I absolutely disagree. I lost my 2010 GT and my wife lost her 2012 Ford Flex to Sandy. If your car was flooded by salt water, Sorry but your done. Your car is junk, Even if the water did not get high enough to submerge the pcm, there are plenty of "mission critical"electrical components, for example the fuel pump wiring harness,that are mounted low enough,on the car that salt water flooding like you described will damage. Also don't be fooled if your car seems runs run fine right now. Salt water damage can sometimes take weeks or even months to show itself. Then there are the non electrical components of your car that will be adversely affected by salt water.
If it was flooded by freshwater, then it may be ok.. However if you have not already completely removed the carpets to dry them and the matting underneath then in all likelihood, you will never be able to completely eliminate the moldy smell that your car will soon develop
Good Luck!

Last edited: